Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this normal or is she really this terrified??

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM
  • 102 Replies
My DD turned 2 back in June. I've been trying to start potty training. She always comes to the bathroom with me so she know the routine and what everything is. She knows what she's doing as far as peepee and poopy. I know when she's pooping because she runs and hides and squats down and if I ask what she's doing, she tells me. Every time I mention something about going to the potty she freaks out! She says "Nooo" and just cries. Is this normal? Is she really that terrified of going on the potty? Or is she just not ready?

Also, do you mommies have any great(preferably free) potty training apps for iPhone?

Thanks much! :)
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chelsielove2
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM
We started our daughter ar 17mths and she was fully trained by her 2nd birthday. We just took the diaper away, except during sleep, that's a whole different training experience. Sure she would have accidents and pee all over herself but then we would go to the bathroom and start all over, she picked up pretty quickly because she didn't like having wet pants. That's the only experience I have. Good luck!
rmfanfgljf
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM
5 moms liked this
Does she have her own small potty chair? Sometimes the big potties can and do scare little kids, mostly its a fear of falling in the toilet or something coming out of the toilet while she is useing it......you could always take her to pick out her own special potty chair/seat, and some undies of her choice and see if that will help. Also you could do a potty chart, and give a reward (candy, chocolate, her favorite treat) every time she goes per and double when she goes poop. Make a huge deal when she goes potty on the potty, don't punish for accidents. Maybe find a potty song that she can song while she going on potty and a song you could sing when she does go potty. Just get creative, keep in mind too she really may not be ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaLyndz
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Yes, she's had a little potty chair since she was a little over a year old. The seat also comes off and I can put it on the toilet. I think she thinks the potty chair is a toy.

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

Does she have her own small potty chair? Sometimes the big potties can and do scare little kids, mostly its a fear of falling in the toilet or something coming out of the toilet while she is useing it......you could always take her to pick out her own special potty chair/seat, and some undies of her choice and see if that will help. Also you could do a potty chart, and give a reward (candy, chocolate, her favorite treat) every time she goes per and double when she goes poop. Make a huge deal when she goes potty on the potty, don't punish for accidents. Maybe find a potty song that she can song while she going on potty and a song you could sing when she does go potty. Just get creative, keep in mind too she really may not be ready.

sjump25
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM
3 moms liked this

I'd say she's just not ready.  You might give her some more time.

rmfanfgljf
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Does she have a specific corner she goes potty in or does she just pick and choose when the urge comes? If she has a "corner" you could try seeing if putting her potty chair in that corner might help. Or maybe you could make her her own little potty corner, put some sheets up to make a sort of tent, maybe put some books in there so she can go potty and "read" or look at pictures. Try different things if one doesn't work then come up with a different approach. Don't let it stress you out because your dd can sense that, and if you a frustrated because she isn't doing what you want her to do, her "fears" may be playing off your emotions.......its hard but make this fun for your dd, and remember its a learning experience, so make it the best for the both of you. Good luck and I hope you find something that helps or works.

Quoting MommaLyndz:

Yes, she's had a little potty chair since she was a little over a year old. The seat also comes off and I can put it on the toilet. I think she thinks the potty chair is a toy.

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dolphingurl1286
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM
My daughter was three same way. Seriously freaked out by the thing. She didn't get potty trained until she was 4.
jean_marie1987
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM
DS didn't train until 3yo for the same reason. When he turned three though, I had gotten tired of diapers so I told him big boy underwear only. We got the plain ones and told him that after a week if he was trained then we'd let him pick out a pack with designs. Worked within three days.
jbyrd898
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM

We tried a few times with my son to see if he was ready and it didnt work. He has pooed in the potty since he was about 18 months old, but just couldnt seem to get the peeing part. I didnt rush it and last week, he decided he didnt want a diaper anymore. He has only had one accident in a week, and he will be 3 on the 29th. If I were you, I would just let it go for a little while longer.  If she is scared, pressuring her could make her even more scared.

MamaKarrot
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

When you put her on the potty if she's upset, tell her a story to redirect her attention.  I guarantee you she'll relax and go if you change the subject, and then you can praise the heck out of her for going.  I did this with my kids and went cold turkey (got rid of all the diapers).  

If she knows she needs to go enough to hide to go do it, then she's definitely ready.  Just make it fun (telling stories) and not so much pressure.  What's the worst that's going to happen? She'll poop/pee her pants?  Clean up and try again. :)  Just stay positive and keep trying, she'll get it.

bluebunbun
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you should take her to the store and let her pick out her own potty or potty seat and that should help!!

Oh and your DD is gorgeous 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)