Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

diapers to underwear at night

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:27 AM
  • 22 Replies

I need advice on how to transition my 3 toddlers from diapers to underwear at night.  My twin girls just turned 3 and have been potty trained durning the day for the past 4 mths.  My son just turned 4 and has been potty trained since he was 3.  I tried no diapers the past two nights.  I limited drinks after 5pm.  They go to bed around 7pm-8pm.  Of course they all woke up soaking wet.  Should I just suck it up and deal with wet sheets for a while or should I revert back to diapers?  How do I know when they are ready?  Their diapers are always wet when they wake in the morning.  Should I wait till their diapers are dry before trying to transition them?

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I would revert to night time something or another (diaper, pullups, etc).  The trouble is, you can't potty train at night, its not a thing they "learn"....thier bodies "learn" how do that.  IT will take time :)

I would take the diapers away when you notice they are dry most mornings :)

2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM

If their diapers aren't dry then you need to wait. Dd refused diapers, pullups, etc as soon as she potty trained. We had many wet nights. I usually got her up to potty just before I went to bed. I also found some waterproof type underwer for night time and then put potty pads under her.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM

wait until they are dry at night for a consecitive period of time. they need to learn to wake up first. in the mean time, limit drinks before bed, and have them go potty before they go to sleep. they are still young

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM

also, try goodnights or.. what is it called? they look like regular underware. my nephew uses them. he is 8 and still has issues. his boddy wont wake up

JoanahLee
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I just went through this with my last foster kids.  2 1/2 year old twins and a 3 year old.  Even tho the kids were all very close developmentally and all needed potty training we chose to concentrate on one child at a time, rather than all 3 at once.  One day our 3 year old announced that sleeping in diapers is for babies, so we gave him underpants and he never had an accident.  The babies are almost 3 and still sleeping in diapers because they are always wet in the morning. 

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Def go back to diapers cuz they aren't ready. Also the AAP does NOT recommend limiting fluids in toddlers. For some reason everyone does this. This will not influence whether or not your child (or children, in your case) will pee. All it does is influence how wet they are (peeing 4oz vs. 6oz, for example). Regardless of how wet they are, the outcome is still the same -- wet kid(s), wet bed(s), everyone's losing sleep. Once a child is physically able to stay dry or wake up to pee, it wont matter if you give them a gallon before bed. Keep your kids hydrated and just give it time. They'll get there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I don't know.  I just stuck my daughter in panties when she was 2 and she just started staying dry at night the same time she learned to train during the day.  I think something just physically 'clicked' with her because she trained EVERYTHING day/night pee/poo all at the same time.

My son is 2 right now and is in the middle of potty training on his own terms.  At nap I leave him in undies and he wakes up dry.  At night we are putting undies on and a diaper over his undies.  We will remove the diaper after he has day trained.  He wakes up dry a lot so we will probably just deal with whatever night accidents he has until he stays dry.

cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM

There's really no way to teach a child to make it through the night without accidents.  Some kids just don't have complete control of their bladders at this age, it's something you'll probably just have to wait out.

sarah.bender.99
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Go back to diapers. they aren't ready. when the diapers start becoming dry in the morning you will know to take them out of them. can't force them out of them

lovemusic24
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM

my son is almost 4 and he's fine during the day but overnight is when he wets the bed, I have disposable  wet pads on his bed to keep the sheets from getting wet. they have been keeping everything dry so far.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)