Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 2 year old eats too much!

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM
  • 15 Replies

...at a time. 

Seriously, I tell her to take small bites and she instead chooses to shovel food into her mouth like it's going out of style! Today I gave her a cheestick at our picnic and she had a quarter of it in her mouth before I could say "Small bites, Claire!" then of course she choked on it and gagged it back up, but still!

Tonight I made pizza (first attempt at a homemade garlic/herb pizza dough, not bad! I know, that's off topic) and I always cut her pizza up into pieces and she had like five in her mouth before I told her to spit it out and take small bites. 

*sigh* I don't know what I'm to do with this child and her eating. I mean, I know that she loves food but sheesh! 

Btw, she's never hungry. She gets breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and a bedtime snack. 

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sebbiemama
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I dunno - time, patience and lots of napkins to clean up what he choked up is what worked for us. He just finally caught on that choking on his food isn't fun. Now we have to deal with the opposite "This blueberry is too big! I can't eat it until you cut it up for me." The blueberry isn't too big, honey. You can handle it. 

mandaschelle
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Katie does that too.
It's become like prison. We watch her take a bite then make her show us it's all gone before she can have another.
JTE11
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Has she always been like this? There are kids out there who stuff food in their mouths until they are super full, and it's a sensory thing. They can't register that there is food in there, or that their mouth has enough food unless it is stuffed full. Sometimes kids crave sensation in their mouths and it takes the form of over stuffing. Maybe you could try giving her one of those vibrating teethers to use, the ones that vibrate when bitten down on...it gives a lot of oral stimulation to the kids who are craving it. I'm not saying that will stop her overstuffing, that's just the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. Maybe Google mouth stuffing and see if the description matches your child.  Try  voices.yahoo.com/mouth-stuffing-cope-it-6925384.html  Otherwise I'd just say only give her a few bites at a time during meals. If you know she will stuff five pieces in, only give her two or three, then give her more. Hope this was somewhat helpful, good luck. :)

flowerfunleah
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

They make vibrating teethers?? Are you SURE it's a teether and not, you know, something else? lol

Quoting JTE11:

Has she always been like this? There are kids out there who stuff food in their mouths until they are super full, and it's a sensory thing. They can't register that there is food in there, or that their mouth has enough food unless it is stuffed full. Sometimes kids crave sensation in their mouths and it takes the form of over stuffing. Maybe you could try giving her one of those vibrating teethers to use, the ones that vibrate when bitten down on...it gives a lot of oral stimulation to the kids who are craving it. I'm not saying that will stop her overstuffing, that's just the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. Maybe Google mouth stuffing and see if the description matches your child.  Try  voices.yahoo.com/mouth-stuffing-cope-it-6925384.html  Otherwise I'd just say only give her a few bites at a time during meals. If you know she will stuff five pieces in, only give her two or three, then give her more. Hope this was somewhat helpful, good luck. :)

Aamy
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Its a phase. My son Sean does it as well.
JTE11
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Lol!  Quite sure. :)  They look like this...

Quoting flowerfunleah:

They make vibrating teethers?? Are you SURE it's a teether and not, you know, something else? lol

Quoting JTE11:

.Angelica.
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:51 PM

i think this might be something that will just take time and many reminders.

calvinsmommy18
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Cut it into smaller pieces?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I think it's a phase. Try cutting and putting only a few pieces at a time. Not enough for her to fill her mouth. Start with 2 pieces and work your way up from there. 

sophiesmom07
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Quoting JTE11:

LOL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)