Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

How PMS helped me to understand my toddler

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

Saw this and cracked up!

How PMS helped me to understand my toddler

Jenni Buckley

posted: September 8, 2013, 3:32 pm

I tell people that I’m a stay-at-home mom, but what I really should be telling them is that I supervise crazy people all day. My toddler is well underway in her second year, and now I understand the phrase “terrible twos.”

I’m so wildly confused by her day-to-day behavior, and it makes it even harder for me because I’m one of those people that likes to use reason. There is absolutely no reasoning with a two-year-old.  C asks for water. I pull out a sippy cup, she watches me fill it, even asks me to put the lid on the cup for her, but once I hand it to her, she melts down. The tears start pouring, the mouth opens into an agonizing wail, she falls on the ground and rolls around as I stare dumbfounded, cup in hand, wondering what just happened.

This is how almost every daily activity goes. She asks for cheese, I give it to her, she cries. She wants to go outside, I open the door, she cries. There is no pleasing a toddler’s emotional state.

As my husband and I were laying in bed the other night, we were discussing the day’s woes. He said to me “I wonder what it’s like to not have any control over your emotions.”

That’s when it hit me. I do know what that feels like. I get to feel this once a month, every month, and for nine straight months during each pregnancy. I only had to say “remember that one time when we brought the chair home?” and I saw the horror flood my husband’s eyes.

Let me tell you about “the chair” and why I now have a bit more sympathy for my over-emotional child…

It was a crisp, winter evening, pre-kids. Aunt Flo was scheduling her visit soon, and I was a bit moody. We had ordered this gorgeous leather reclining chair 14 weeks prior, and we had just received the call that it was finally delivered and ready for pick-up. I was upstairs  reading in the bedroom when my husband brought it home. He brought it in, placed it in the living room, and then came upstairs to get me. I was excited to see it, until I came downstairs and saw where he put it. In his defense, he only brought it in, he didn’t actually place it where he thought it was going to stay permanently. Apparently, this was all too overwhelming for me. I started to cry. Then I started pushing our existing couch around, gathered up the area rug from underneath it, sat on the mound of rug and bawled. I cried so hard I couldn’t breathe. My husband stared at me with eyes opened wide. I only remember looking up at him through puffy eyes and saying “I don’t know why I’m crying.”

Hormones do crazy things, but I guess so does early emotional development.

Now, since I feel like I can better relate to these meltdowns, I can react to them better. Going back to that previously mentioned sippy cup. When C starts to get upset, I say “Okay, I’m going to set this cup right here, and when you’re ready for it, you know where it is.” And when she cries, I hold her through it and let her cry. It seems to be working really well so far. When she’s old enough, in about 19 more years, I’ll show her the secret of handling runaway emotions with chocolate and wine.

Clickable Link: http://blogs.babycenter.com/mom_stories/how-pms-helped-me-to-understand-my-toddler/?scid=fb_wallPost

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Thanks for sharing this!

auntangelofsix
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Thank you
mommy2zbg
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM

haha Thank you for this!

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Interesting 

TFS

turtle07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Lol thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2891
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Loved it!! And it so true!! Thanks for sharing!!
biomom1437
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 5:17 PM

this is a great post.  but have you considered trying to get your dd to drink from an open cup.  u can get 8 oz. cups on amazon for pretty cheap.  but my advice at first only put just enough water to cover the bottom of the cup bc she will need to learn cause and effect thing and good  luck....

aimesnyc
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Lol I didn't write this. It's a blog from baby center... My son drinks from an open cup. ;)

Quoting biomom1437:

this is a great post.  but have you considered trying to get your dd to drink from an open cup.  u can get 8 oz. cups on amazon for pretty cheap.  but my advice at first only put just enough water to cover the bottom of the cup bc she will need to learn cause and effect thing and good  luck....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)