Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Invited to a birthday party on first day of Preschool

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM
  • 34 Replies

My son started preschool last week and on his first day there was a birthday invitation in my inbox.  When I asked my son about the boy having the party he said he was not his friend.  I would like to meet some of the moms and it was the first day,  should I have him go to the party anyway?  Things could change between now and then right?

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MumsTheWord571
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM
I would if you're available.
Mazie0723
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM
2 moms liked this
If your son wants to go then go. But I wouldn't force my child to attend a party for my benefit.
BraedensMom10
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM
3 moms liked this

Maize,  

I would never force him for my own benefit, but he said after one day that he wasn't his friend.  At four this boy could be his best friend tomorrow for all I know.

WendyJR
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I would go.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's common for kids who have birthdays at the beginning of the school year, its a way to meet/make new friends (parents too) and many schools require you to invite the whole class not just a few friends to keep feelings from getting hurt. I will be sending them for my preschoolers whole class and her whole dance class as well.

bloomsr
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I would go. There will be a lot of kids from his class to play with. I know that at 4, my son couldn't remember anyone's name after the first day so maybe your son said he's not his friend bc he doesn't know who the boy is by name alone.

Also, I would get just a small gift. Construction paper, washable markers and maybe scissors and a glue stick:)
BraedensMom10
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Thank you all for the advice.  I think we will go.  Also thank you for advice on the small gift.  I had no idea what we would get since I don't know the child at all.

KimmyPoo
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:01 PM
If you could go I would.. That just me tho
Wendsdy
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I would go if its possible.  Kids in preschool love making new friends and very quickly learn about playdates, etc. and if you can meet everyone and the kids can have a great time I think its a good idea.  I also think it was nice of them to include everyone even though the kids aren't friends yet.  I hate when I see invitations being handed out and some kids are left out.  Its so sad.  Go and have a great time :)

MommySarah986
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm having a birthday party for my dd and I'm inviting her whole preschool class. Her school did start a month ago but I don't know the parents very well. Hopefully most people will come. I'm also looking forward to meeting the other moms and socializing. I'm not expecting any big gifts or anything at all. The whole point is for dd to have fun with her friends from school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)