Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your child have odd speech patterns/repeat words?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:47 AM
  • 23 Replies

Typically, I have no concerns about my almost three year old's development, but she has a speech habit I've never heard before that has me puzzled. "Very" seems to be her favorite word, particularly when it's stuck to another "very." Here are some examples from today:

"I need veryvery, veryvery, veryvery, veryvery, veryvery, mine very own vitamin please, Mommy."

"That veryvery, veryvery, veryvery plug is for your very own computer, Mommy?"

"I veryvery, veryvery watch some Team Umizoomi after mine very own lunch."

"Tomorrow we veryvery, veryvery, go to the very own hardware store!"

Sorry if that's awkward to read, but I'm trying to show how it really sounds. "Very" twice like it's one word, repeated anywhere from two to six times. And "very own" all over the place. I can't even think of where she may have heard the phrase "very own."

Just wondering if anyone else had a similar speech weirdness to share, and whether I should consider working with her to move on or just expect it to disappear on its own.

Thanks for reading!

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:11 AM

My kids both go through phases where they use certain words or phrases more than usual. 

funhappymom
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:52 AM

How long has she been saying very with everything? It could just be a phase. Good luck.

sunangel803
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM
It's probably a phase. A couple weeks ago, my son went around saying "I so wonder"...I have no idea where he heard that :) I wouldn't worry too much right now.
sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

My kids both go through phases where they use certain words or phrases more than usual. 

I agree. Probably just a phase. Give it a few months, he'll probably move on to something else.

Zirallan
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Our 5 year old went through a rather long phase of saying words incorrectly. She would interpose letters of words she had previously said perfectly fine. It ended pretty quickly when I started making her say the words correctly before letting her finish whatever she was saying. Then she went through a phase of leaving out sylables. She didn't like it when we'd tell her we didn't know what she was talking about (even if we did). And then there was the phase of leaving out words like 'at, the, of' so we'd get sentences like 'I'm going to gym' or 'Can I have a glass juice?'. It ended when I stopped giving her things if she left out words, started making her correct every sentence, and stopped letting her go to the gym (she's only allowed in the childrens play area anyway) if she didn't say it right. The look on her face when we went to the gym and she got sent back home with the person giving us a ride because she said 'we're going to gym' was kinda priceless. All of them are things she had previously said correctly though..

If it bothers you, correct it. Make sure she knows the word is 'very' not 'veryvery'. Make her slow down and back up and repeat the sentence in a more acceptable manner (tell her how to say it correctly and have her repeat it). Tell her it makes it hard to understand what she's trying to tell you/ask for when she talks like that.

I wouldn't just ignore it though. At least in the case of our 5 year old, NONE of these things went away on their own. One 'phase' lasted for almost 2 years before I decided that it needed to go away before she started school this fall.

sillyboysmom
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:38 PM
My 2yr old likes to over pronounciate or repeat he last letters of his words and it seems odd to me. Stuff like "catchchchch" or "showwwwww". He doesn't do it all the time, and i think he is just exploring sounds. It is odd tho.
Roo1234
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Keep talking to her using normal speech patters and she will most likely outgrow it.  Kids experiment with language, sounds, the world around them.  It is normal and necessary to their development.

A good thing to remember as a parent is that you probably have never spent as much time around a child as you do your own, so it is equally unlikely that you don't know all of the weird and wonderful stages that they can go through.  I.E.  Don't worry so much about it, almost everything is "normal" for your child.

Karmea
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:51 PM

You have a good point. My mother ran a daycare when I was growing up, and eventually I became a nanny, myself. I've lived with so many kids that I thought I'd seen all the weirdness childhood could offer. And yet my daughter surprises me every day!

Quoting Roo1234:

A good thing to remember as a parent is that you probably have never spent as much time around a child as you do your own, so it is equally unlikely that you don't know all of the weird and wonderful stages that they can go through.  I.E.  Don't worry so much about it, almost everything is "normal" for your child.

Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM
My youngest (3.5) stutters and has for about a year. He doesn't stutter sounds...he stutters full words. It comes and goes....some days worse than others. I am not concerned as I have seen his vocab grow and research says stuttering sounds is when ti worry. But he has been slower with language development (youngest of 3 and being a boy will do that) and still chooses words differently than my other two. His new favorite phrase is asking "Who passed over?" when he means "Who came over?" He also won't say "tomorrow", instead it is "the day after this day".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xomrs.chase
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:03 PM
When my son was 18mo he said shit instead of fish. Lol

If my son drops something he'll say "uh oh" like 20x.. even if I keep saying "its ok, its alright" etc
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)