Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Is your 2yr.old destructive? Does he/she purposefully make messes?

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM
  • 48 Replies
3 moms liked this

My 2yr.old son has started making messes...on purpose, and has become a little destructive,  Yesterday, I folded up a lot of clothes & was proud of myself b/c I had been behind on the laundry.  After that, I fed him lunch & heated up mine.  He got up before me & went to the living room to watch cartoons (or so I thought).  He had gone in there & threw the clothes I had just folded all over the floor.  Then, this evening, he went out on the porch & threw things out of boxes we had in storage.  And, while I was taking a shower, he got into mine & his brother's deodorant & picked it out & threw little pieces of it everywhere.  Is this typical of the "terrible 2's"?

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sjump25
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:34 PM

My dd is so destructive :/  My son was never like that so it took me by surprise.  She is 3 and is less destructive than she was when she was 2, but she still makes a good mess 

mama-jackie
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Well, I have 2 older children, but I really don't remember them just doing things like that "just because".  I mean they'd leave their toys out & stuff like that, but I really don't remember this out of them.

katyq
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:45 PM
2 moms liked this

It's very normal. T is important to remember that this is not misbehavior, it is experimentation and exploration. Just start laying down boundaries and stick to them. Also allow him opportunities to ake big messes. Finger painting in the tub in the bath, building blocks throwing bird seeds at the park, etc. they need a creative outlet :p

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:49 PM
My 4yr old wasnt like that. Though he has learne to spell his name and he climbs up to where i keep my pebs for my school work and i have caught him writing all over the walls and on him. The toy room is always a mess, he has to dump the bon out and climb in. Lol
JenniL05
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:51 PM
My two year old walked in the living room earlier today with a curtain rod in his hand after ripping it from the wall of his room...

I'm really hoping its just a phase, my older son was always OCD about his stuff being in order at that age!
yankeefan828
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM
My dd is 3 and is a little distructive. Just with her own stuff though. Purposely throwing her toys on the floor but that's it. Maybe teach him how to help you so he feels needed for something, mommy's little helper. Dd helps me clean up her stuff and things around the house. Maybe getting him involved would change the distructive phase. Good luck
KhloesMom2009
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I didn't experience terrible twos, but threes are kicking my ass.

My daughter would do things like that and make messes. That isn't what I would call destructive.

Roo1234
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM
many toddlers make messes because they are exploring their world. think of them as little mass scientists. wanting to experiment with cause and effect, getting carried away when they like the results. you just have to out think them and stay s couple steps ahead
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM
This. All of our 'stuff' like deodorant is out of reach. DH left his on the counter one day & DS tried to cover himself - head to toe - in DHs deodorant. He smelled like old spice for 2 days even with showers!

Anyways....he is also mimicking you - you take the dirty laundry & take it out to put in the washer. So he took it out. When you get a box delivered, you open it & empty it. Try to focus on what he should do - have him help you if he wants, that may help

Quoting Roo1234:

many toddlers make messes because they are exploring their world. think of them as little mass scientists. wanting to experiment with cause and effect, getting carried away when they like the results. you just have to out think them and stay s couple steps ahead
mom2one29
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM

My son is 2.5 and he loves to make messes and knock things over. He is destructive on a daily basis.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN