Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Keep Your Kids Out Of Your Bedroom?

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM
  • 54 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you let your kids play in your bedroom?

Options:

Yes, that's fine with me

No, that's not a play area for them

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 88

View Results

Do you keep your kids out of your bedroom?

When I'm home with them alone I lock the door to our room, which opens with a butter knife easily.  My 3 year old knows to not go in there, but my 14 month old can now open doors so I want him to stay out.

My husband is amazed.  He grew up with his siblings and him playing in their parents room and in their bed.  I grew up with my parents room being off limits.  It was their room and unless one of them were in their we knew it wasn't a place to play or explore.

Of course, if I'm in there then they can be in there with me.  He thinks it's silly.  Though last night he laid in bed and broke his sunglasses because one of hte kids had left them on his side of the bed and he didn't catch it before laying down.  LOL, you'd think he'd see the light.  So I thought I'd take a poll to see which one of us had the "normal" view.

Does anyone else have such a set up?

***EDIT: I've noticed a lot of mention to the locking of the door.  Our knobs have handles so my 14 month old can easily open the door.  Locking it is our cheap way to keep from buying anything to baby proof it.  It isn't that I'm that freaked out by the notion of them being in there that I lock it down like Fort Knox.  We are just too cheap to figure something else out***

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M0M0F3B0YS82
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I dont allow them in there alone, they know its off limits unless we are in there, for example Husband will go change out of his uniforms and the kids will follow him talking to him and then its ok but once hewalks out so do the kids. 

We usually have the kiddy door knob things on it and keeps the little one out and the other 2 are old enough not to go in there. 

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM
I'm in the off limits group. If I'm in there It's fine but that's kinda my (our) space. I need one room that I don't have to reclean everyday. I'm not like super strict about it but I tell them your room is for playing, not mine.

I have all the breakable things that I haven't put up in there. They start going threw my closest and they'll find Christmas presents or "outfits" they don't need to know I wear. LOL. It's just best they play in there own room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM

My bedroom is the same room as my 19 month old dd. So yes. Besides my bed and a small space of the closet the whole room is hers to play in. My kids play in my parents room all the time. And I did as a kid. When I wasnt living where I am now (which is why I share) my older 2 kids had their own room and so did I they always played in my room, watched tv and played video games etc........not off limits at all.

cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Dd sleeps in our room so she's allowed in there.

PAmommy32
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM

We don't have toys in our room so the kids don't really play in there but it is not off limits.  If I am showering or getting dressed they might bring a toy in and play while I am in there.  They do jump on our bed and hang out with me and my husband in our room.  Since there aren't any toys I guess it's just not all that interesting for them if me or my husband aren't in there.  I would feel a little silly though telling my children they couldn't come into my room; I go into their rooms all time.  I understand though needing an "adult" space.

WendyJR
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM

They have the run of the entire house except my bedroom. They can come in if i'm in there/DH is in there. But it's not a play room.

Zirallan
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM

My bedroom is off limits without permission wether an adult is in there or not. The 12 month old is in there often because leaving a 12 month old running loose in the house while you lay on the bed and chat about something is generally a bad idea.. But the 5 year old is very rarely in there simply because she's old enough to not need constant supervision. If we can't leave her alone for 10 minutes then we have a problem.

I see no reason why I should have to keep my own personal space presentable to children. There's adult objects on the nightstand. There's items of clothing tossed over the corner of the dresser that I don't feel like answering questions about. There's Christmas gifts simply sitting in a stack in the corner. My room, my mess, and no reason for children to be in it.

Karmea
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM

She can't be in there by herself - this is one room I don't want to have to baby proof - but she does run in first thing every morning to bounce on the bed and flip through my books a bit before we head off to make breakfast.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM
I didn't vote because my kids are not banned from any room in my house but they don't choose to play in my room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
winchester70
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Our bedroom is off limits; it is the only room that I can keep the way I want it without the kids messing with stuff. (hubby spends very little time there!)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)