Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

WWYD - chicken pox

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM
  • 24 Replies

I have a 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old.  A couple of us were going to get together for a play date, however, one of the girls has chicken pox. 

I would really like to get it over with with my kids, but mt 4 year old just started school yesterday. 

WWYD?

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by Angie on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM

my daughter wasn't in school, but i let her play with her cousins when they had it(she didn't get it though) with her just having started school, and the fact they are contagious before you know hey have it, I'm not sure.

jamesmommy32404
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I personally do not understand why you would subject your children to a contagious disease on purpose...the chicken pox is a miserable thing...i had it when i was 16...i am not bashing anyone just trying to understand...i would NOT want my children to get it...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:29 PM
2 moms liked this

because the immunity you get from having the actual chicken pox is better than the immunity from the shot and it means no more getting injected with dangerous chemicals.

momofsunshine77
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Everyone gets it and then once you have it you have life time immunity.  I had it when /i was 7.  Also, the younger you get it the less severe the disease is.  It is one of those things that yoiu get it out of the way.

My concern is the school thing -she jsut started.  If she wasn't in school I would not have any difficulty making the decision.  I dont want her to miss so soon.  :(

Quoting jamesmommy32404:

I personally do not understand why you would subject your children to a contagious disease on purpose...the chicken pox is a miserable thing...i had it when i was 16...i am not bashing anyone just trying to understand...i would NOT want my children to get it...

PAmommy32
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I don't think I would intentionally subject my children to chicken pox but I also wouldn't worry too much about them getting it either.  I don't think you really have to "get it over with"  they may never get chicken pox if not purposefully exposed to it.

cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Sure, if your kids aren't vaccinated I'd expose them to it just to get it over with.  If they are vaccinated then you really don't need to worry about it anyway.

little.momma.D
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Most kids are vaccinated and don't get chicken pox. I haven't heard of it for a long long time.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Quoting cabrandy03:

Sure, if your kids aren't vaccinated I'd expose them to it just to get it over with.  If they are vaccinated then you really don't need to worry about it anyway.

My thoughts as well

newwifenmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Hard one. BTW, I'm a little surprised people think vaccinated people don't get chicken pox. I was vaccinated and got it so did my siblings and other people I knew.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this

This is why I withheld the vaccine from my oldest.  He had a full exposure around 3 years old and never got it.  I wondered if he had a natural immunity to it.  I said I would vaccinate him if he hadn't had it by K so we did.  My dd got her first vaccine accidentally at 12 months because I wasn't paying attention.  I kicked myself for it but couldn't change it.  I would have much rather both of them had chicken pox but it's hard to catch these days! 

OP, if you don't plan to vaccinate, I would expose them and deal with a week or so off school.  It's only preschool/pre-k, she won't miss much IF she contracts it.  It's so dangerous for adults to get chicken pox, I would just expose them and see what happens.

Quoting emkirkley:

because the immunity you get from having the actual chicken pox is better than the immunity from the shot and it means no more getting injected with dangerous chemicals.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)