Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Isn't it Your Fault That You are Raising a 'Picky Eater'?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM
  • 121 Replies

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zirallan
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM
6 moms liked this

Well there's an antigonizing troll of a post if I've ever seen one.

DeLaLi
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:02 PM
6 moms liked this

You can expose your child to anything/everything, but at the end of the day it all depends on what he/she chooses to eat. You can't force your child to eat/drink what YOU want. If it were only that easy...

ms.mftc
by New Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes, it's your fault.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTE11
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM
4 moms liked this

Well like anything, there are some kids for whom this is true and some that it's not. Some parents don't expose  their kids to enough variety to develop a good, broad diet, and there are some kids who have sensory difficulties or other difficulties like oral motor problems that prevent them from eating a wide variety of foods. If those kids aren't receiving any help with their issues then maybe it could be partially blamed on the parents, but even then some kids who receive extensive therapy  still may not improve much. So, yes or no, depending on the kid and situation. All a parent can do is make sure a kid is exposed to a wide variety of foods, and try to get help if there is something getting in the way and hopefully that will help.

KelliCakes
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I think so, the kids eat what you eat. Why would they eat healthy food if you dont?

owl0210
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I give my son a variety of things to eat and there are some things he just doesn't like.
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

In my case....no.  I'm glad my children are picky eaters.  They eat very well, nutritious, and most of you may be jelaous by thier diets.....considering both of my children have 10+ food allergies each.

PoliteisRight
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

It's great that at least you have him try new food, than it is up to him if he likes it or not.

Quoting owl0210:

I give my son a variety of things to eat and there are some things he just doesn't like.

PoliteisRight
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree.  Kids are not the ones buying chicken nuggets or mac'n cheese, we are.  There is a time for that food once in a while, but when I have kids over for dinner and they only want 'kid' food it is sad and sometimes annoying.

Quoting KelliCakes:

I think so, the kids eat what you eat. Why would they eat healthy food if you dont?

PoliteisRight
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I think the key is what you said, expose them to different food.  I never liked Brussels sprouts, in fact hated them, due to having to eat them watery and overcooked so they were mush, but my husband cooked them differently and the kids love them.

The one food I have never given my kids are peas......but they survived :)

Quoting JTE11:

Well like anything, there are some kids for whom this is true and some that it's not. Some parents don't expose  their kids to enough variety to develop a good, broad diet, and there are some kids who have sensory difficulties or other difficulties like oral motor problems that prevent them from eating a wide variety of foods. If those kids aren't receiving any help with their issues then maybe it could be partially blamed on the parents, but even then some kids who receive extensive therapy  still may not improve much. So, yes or no, depending on the kid and situation. All a parent can do is make sure a kid is exposed to a wide variety of foods, and try to get help if there is something getting in the way and hopefully that will help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)