Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Boys! Help!

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM
  • 13 Replies

So baby boy will be turning three in November... I was hoping to be done with diapers by 2.5! He understand the potty; he understands what it feels like to need to go potty, but he just does not care. He will poop in his diaper, then tell us he went poop. He will pee and say,"mommy all wet." And want to be changed right then and there.  We have put him in Thomas underwear (he is a huge fan of thomas) for during the day, and he will not go potty in Thomas, but at night and when we go out to town, we put him in a pull ups and ask him ove and over and over,"do you need to go potty? Lets go to the potty?" but he will always go to the bathroom in his pull-ups, then tell us. How do we get him to start telling us he needs to go potty, and not to just go potty in his diaper then tell us? He knows the concept, but my husband and I don't have the guts to keep him in his underwear 24/7. Help! He's our first child, and the first boy in the family...

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PAmommy32
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM

It might be an issue that only time will fix.  I have learned the hard way that a child will only go in the potty when/if he feels like it and any amount of coercing and pressuring may only make the diapers stay on longer.  You are doing the right thing by teaching him what to do it is up to him to decide that he wants to do it.  I think when we started potty training I would take my son to the bathroom every hour or so and have him try to go.  Don't wait for him to tell you, just take him.  He will eventually start telling you, although it might take longer than you would prefer.  I let my son go without underwear, which seemed to give him a false sense of security, he actually had less accidends naked than with underwear on.  If he is around any other children that are potty trained you can have them show him as well and he might decide that he wants to do what the other child is doing.  Most importantly, have patience and don't worry about it because it will happen (easier said than done, I know).

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this

You need to get the guts!  Potty training is messy but that's how they learn.  You have to resolve to keep him in underwear all day (diapers/pull ups for naps/sleeping) for at least 7-10 days.  Get out the carpet cleaner and just deal with what comes.  He has to be uncomfortable.  As long as you leave him in pullups, he'll continue to use them as a crutch.

I also wanted to note that I have trained a boy and a girl and used the exact same method for both of them AND they both trained in the same amount of time.  Training isn't about gender since most boys train sitting down anyway.

amonkeymom
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I agree with the others, don't wait for your son to say he needs to go, just take him.

Instead of pull-ups try undies with a pair of plastic pants over them.  That way he'll still feel the wet/poop and hopefully be more aware and want to keep them clean.

Leigh84
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM
I'm having the same issue w/my 3 1/2 year old. One day.....one day......
iansmommy9
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I agree with this.  We went from diapers to undies at 27 months and the only pull ups we used was when he got a stomach virus the first month of potty training.  It was a little messy, but the REALLY don't like to be wet. He was pee peeing in the potty after 3 days.  Poop took a little longer.

I did train him standing rahter than sitting. 

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

You need to get the guts!  Potty training is messy but that's how they learn.  You have to resolve to keep him in underwear all day (diapers/pull ups for naps/sleeping) for at least 7-10 days.  Get out the carpet cleaner and just deal with what comes.  He has to be uncomfortable.  As long as you leave him in pullups, he'll continue to use them as a crutch.

I also wanted to note that I have trained a boy and a girl and used the exact same method for both of them AND they both trained in the same amount of time.  Training isn't about gender since most boys train sitting down anyway.

jes_eli_0710
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Heres a BUMP, I need help too.

.Angelica.
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:04 AM

so when he is home and in underwear he does fine and stays dry? sounds like you need to just toss the pull ups.

mskeeinmd
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Don't worry about it.  Boys are harder.  My son didn't train until almost 4.  I was crying thinking he wasn't going to be able to go to school.  Is he in daycare?  The pressure from the other kids at daycare all being potty trained helped encourage him.  He also had a teacher that took him to the bathroom every 30 minutes whether he had to go or not.  That helped.  Consistency is the key.

corrinacs
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:46 AM

That's the biggest thing, he does not care :/.  You need to reinforce the cleanliness factor, because that's the part that's holding him back :).

Another thing I did was Caden was in daycare at this age.  He was due to move up to the preschool class, where they requierd him to be potty trained. Luckily, the director was close with me, and she moved him up anyway.....he was trained within 3 weeks :).

We also had his birthday party coming up.  So, we allowed him to plan it etc.  The catch was he had to be dry for two weeks prrior to his party, or it would be canceled (night time diapers didnt' count).

Good luck :)

SouthernMomma5
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Other than him "not caring", big problem #2 is he is in daycare, and they are "too busy" training their three year olds to be worrying about my two year old. So, they are not working with him at all. Big, big problem. Everyone I talk to say it is more stressful for us as the parents than it is for him, and time will be the factor for when he is potty trained.

But I thank all of you ladies for your imput.  I thought I would be one of those parents who didn't care about when my child was potty trained, but obviously it is bothering me and I wish this was something that I could nip in the bud quick, but Little Man is very defiant and stubborn. Time may be my only friend :(

Quoting mskeeinmd:

Don't worry about it.  Boys are harder.  My son didn't train until almost 4.  I was crying thinking he wasn't going to be able to go to school.  Is he in daycare?  The pressure from the other kids at daycare all being potty trained helped encourage him.  He also had a teacher that took him to the bathroom every 30 minutes whether he had to go or not.  That helped.  Consistency is the key.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)