Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preschool troubles

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: Pull him out of the pre-school?

Options:

Yes

No (please post why)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 11

View Results

My son started attending two preschools this year. My SO's idea, not mine. I went along with it, thinking he'd like school. After two months though, I think he is having problems with the preschool that goes for 2.5 hours for two days a week. He has to get up in the mornings really early, so i've been having nix his nap, which, he so isn't ready for, half the time, i'm having to shake him awake. He doesn't ever seem to want to go to school, cries half the time i leave him, and has been a lot meaner (he's generally is good kid). I know there is adjustment period and everything, and i've done everything I can to make him more comfortable. LIke making time in the mornings for him, letting him know the day before that he has school, telling him what days he'll be at school, when i'll pick him up, etc. It still doesn't seem to be going well. He's been at this a little over a month now.

Not only that, but the one that 2.5 hours, is horriable disorgnaized. I feel that he isn't getting the attention he needs.

I feel like maybe, it's time to pull him out...At the same time, i feel a little guilty for wanting to do so. (I plan on homeschooling him for pre school if i do pull him out. I already do little plans when he is at home.)

TO ANSWER EVERYONE'S QUESTION, AS TO WHY TWO PRE-SCHOOLS: My hubby thought it would be better for my son if he did. He wanted him to have lots of socialization   with other kids, which is silly, because i'm in a mom's club that has kids his own age just fine. I think he was worried about our son getting shy.

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
PAmommy32
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Is he going 5 days a week?  How old is he?  Sounds like it may have just been too much for him and too distruptive of his schedule.  If he all of a sudden is away from you for 5 days and then has to get used to not one, but two different schools that sounds like a lot to handle.  Not to mention if it is a bad environment that he doesn't like that makes it even worse.  Given the info you gave, I would pull my son out if it were me.  Can you just take him out of one school and see how it goes leaving him in the other?

sahmw2010
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Pull him out if disorganized school an keep him in the other school. Why on earth would SO want him in 2 different schools? I would have issues too!
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Sending him to 2 schools is the silliest thing I have ever heard of. 

Leave him in the organized one and ditch the other.  Children do not need a full school load for preschool so you don't even have to make up the time at home.  Just play and he'll learn all he needs that way plus what he's getting from the other school.

JTE11
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a kid who MUST. HAVE. Her sleep or she just can't function. I can't get her up erlier than she is ready or skip a nap because she going into meltdown mode. I would say get him out of the 2.5 hour preschool and keep him home. Teach him things there, and let him get his sleep. He will not learn much or enjoy it much if he is sleep deprived anyway so you'd just be wasting your money just to upset him. Two schools is a whole lot of adjustment. I'd say keep him in the other one, but not going every day. Two or three half days per week is enoug, and only if it doesn't interfere with his sleep.

sophiesmom07
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Pull him out of the disorganized school and keep him in the other one.  There's too much going on, that's probably why he's in a bad mood. He will still benefit from being in pre- k part time. It will probably be better for him to have one place to go, one group pf friends and one teacher to get used to rather than 2 sets. 

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:45 PM

What was your SOs reason for putting him in two different preschools?  Around here most of all the preschools are set by age so 2/3 yr olds go two days a week for like 3-3.5hrs and 4/5yr olds go for 3 days 3-3.5hrs if they are in dayscare with a preschool curriculum it is like 1-1.5 hrs a day 5 days a week.  Your child is probably getting burnt out with all the learning especially if the teaching styles are similar. 

cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I don't see any good reason for him to be attending two schools. If it were me I'd pull him out of the one your having issues with.

madamlinwe
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM

That was my plan, just take him out of the one that is 2.5 hours long. He only goes two days out of the week. it's at 8:30 though, if he gets in a nap, he won't go to sleep till 8pm..then doesn't wake up till 8am..which doesn't work so well with the school's schedule. thank you for your thoughts. That was what i was thinking. He is 3 by the way.

Quoting PAmommy32:

Is he going 5 days a week?  How old is he?  Sounds like it may have just been too much for him and too distruptive of his schedule.  If he all of a sudden is away from you for 5 days and then has to get used to not one, but two different schools that sounds like a lot to handle.  Not to mention if it is a bad environment that he doesn't like that makes it even worse.  Given the info you gave, I would pull my son out if it were me.  Can you just take him out of one school and see how it goes leaving him in the other?

iansmommy9
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I wouldn't do the 2 schools.  That's way too confusing for a little guy.  He doesn't know what to expect from day to day.  I doubt the expectations are the same between the two places.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)