Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Fever comes & goes would you take her?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:42 PM
  • 12 Replies
We took my 21 month old to the ER on Sunday, (the urgent care was closed) I am in a wheeled chair and don't have anyone to take me during the week to her doctor. As I expected it was croup. She did have a fever and they gave her a shot of steroids which seemed to help the barking cough.

We took her to a follow up appointment yesterday, she checked out fine. Everything was clear, but today she's been running a fever of 102 and 103. Gave her Mortrin and it's gone down to about 100.3 fever is a natural response to fighting infection, but she doesn't get a fever for no reason. My oldest has had a stomach ache for three days and today she woke up with a fever also.

I don't know if I should take her to the urgent care or just let the fever run it's course. Tried to get another appointment with her pedi but they are all booked. She said if fever returned to take her back.
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:25 AM
My doc doesnt need to see a child unless the fever is 102 for 4 days OR it climbs over 104 OR they are so lethargic they aren't really rousing (regardless of temp). It doesn't sound like you need a doc unless any secondary symptoms bother you like struggling to breathe, fear of dehydration, etc. Otherwise, let her rest.

Is there an on-call doc/nurse that you can speak with over the phone for peace of mind if that will help you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HippoCat
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:46 AM

This

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

My doc doesnt need to see a child unless the fever is 102 for 4 days OR it climbs over 104 OR they are so lethargic they aren't really rousing (regardless of temp). It doesn't sound like you need a doc unless any secondary symptoms bother you like struggling to breathe, fear of dehydration, etc. Otherwise, let her rest.

Is there an on-call doc/nurse that you can speak with over the phone for peace of mind if that will help you?

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:47 AM
If the fever is going down with medicine wait it out. If it lasts more than 24 hours then go in.
Mrs.Velasquez
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 4:14 AM
Thanks. I took her anyway, I was already taking my oldest so I had her checked out. Just a viral infection. Hopefully this will go away soon. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't her ears again.
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Considering she was sick already, I would definitely take her into the urgent care or back to hte ER.  The reason being is that she probably has a residual infection :/.  And considering she had croup, I'm afraid she would have walking pneumonia.  My son ahd that a few weeks ago and required antibiotics.  He had a fairly high fever for over a week!

.Angelica.
by Angie on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM

this

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Mrs.Velasquez
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Yeah I took her in. Pediatrician said it was most likely another viral infection that hit her since she's already sick.

My oldest has had bilateral pneumonia and I didn't even know it. Her fevers were at 104 even with Mortrin the day before we took her in. So scary!!

Quoting corrinacs:

Considering she was sick already, I would definitely take her into the urgent care or back to hte ER.  The reason being is that she probably has a residual infection :/.  And considering she had croup, I'm afraid she would have walking pneumonia.  My son ahd that a few weeks ago and required antibiotics.  He had a fairly high fever for over a week!

Mrs.Velasquez
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Shows how not all pediatricians are the same. Ours and the urgent care see them if it's at 100.4 or higher.

I personally don't like the nurse advice line. So I just took her to get checked out. And reassure me nothing more was going on :)

Thank u though.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess I should have been clearer.  Our pediatrician will see a child for a splinter if we want.  What I meant was that they don't worry about a fever, in and of itself, unless it's persistant and 102+ for 4 days (plus the 2 "or"s that I added below). 

I guess your own common sense knows your child and knows when they need to be seen.  My son had a 102 fever for 4 days when he was about 4 and they said "bring him in tomorrow" and by the next day it was gone so we didn't go in.  He had no other symptoms other than that fever and being exhausted so we just let him rest.  If I had worried about ear infection, cough/pneumonia (which he's had twice), etc. I would have taken him in. 

I'm glad you took her in for your own peace of mind.  Hope she feels better soon.

Quoting Mrs.Velasquez:

Shows how not all pediatricians are the same. Ours and the urgent care see them if it's at 100.4 or higher.

I personally don't like the nurse advice line. So I just took her to get checked out. And reassure me nothing more was going on :)

Thank u though.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Give it a couple more days. See how she's feeling Monday. 

My son had a sinus infection, saw his pedi, got antibiotics & it cleared up. Then two days later he had a fever & vomiting. :/ I just let it run its course & he was over it in 3 days. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)