Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Potty Regression or Somthing Else? Advice Needed

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 4:35 AM
  • 12 Replies

DS turned 3 last month and has been potty trained for about 11 months now.  He is even night trained.  A few weeks ago, he wet the bed, but running a fever, so I brushed it off.  Thursday, he had 3 wet accidents while with grandparents. Yesterday, while he was at home with DH, he had a tiny wet accident and later in the day, he wet and soiled his pants. DH said he was very upset about it and warned me not to say anything to him.

Is this normal potty regression, or could it be somthing else?  I'd wondered about maybe a bladder infection, but there's no odd odors and he's not complaining about pain and it wouldn't explain the pooping.

In the last month he's become disinterested in preschool and says he doesn't want to go. It's a battle every morning.  He went to daycare at the center part time and then we put him in fulltime summer camp for activities and decided to keeep him fulltime when he moved to preschool. He LOVED summer camp.  Initially, he liked the move to preschool, but his best friend who is a hitter and biter was moved to the next room up and this is when the, "I don't want to go to school" routine kicked in.  Come to think about it, we talked to the friend's parents after school on Wednesday and Thursday is when the potty accidents started.

Mommies, am I over analyzing this?  Need some help/advice/tips from mommies who have similar experiences.

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 4:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by Angie on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:34 PM

it sounds like maybe it could be because his friend went to a different classroom.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM

i have heard that children who train early are more prone to regression later on.  it could be as simple as that or it could be related to his friend moving.  have you spoken with his teachers to see if he's having any issues with children?  the not wanting to go to school and accidents may or may not be related but it sounds like you need a little more investigation. 

Regardless, he'll move past the accidents.  He won't pee his pants in high school if he wants a date so this is a phase.  Hang in there.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM

It could be related, or maybe it's not. 

I wouldn't worry too much based on what you posted. Hopefully it will just pass on it's own. 

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I spoke with both the teacher and administrator about 2 weeks ago. The teacher said she didn't know why he was so upset with them and at first the administrator agreed to monitor him to make sure there were no conflicts with others and after following up with DH, they narrowed the change in attitude to around the time the friend switched classes. She told DH that they thought things would improve for DS by moving the friend since DS was often bitten by the friend. The not wanting to go to school is in about week 4 or 5. 

In the last 3 weeks or so, he's also been gathering grass and wood chips from the playground and bringing them home. It started as a few pieces in his pockets and it's now escalated to full plastic gloves of wood chips. He gets very angry when I ask him not to bring them home. I've shown him we have wood chips in our beds, so we don't need them, we've gone to the park to gather leaves and grass as a special activity. Then, this week he upped it to bringing home hot wheels.  I'm hoping all of this is just a phase and boy am I ready for it to be over.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

i have heard that children who train early are more prone to regression later on.  it could be as simple as that or it could be related to his friend moving.  have you spoken with his teachers to see if he's having any issues with children?  the not wanting to go to school and accidents may or may not be related but it sounds like you need a little more investigation. 

Regardless, he'll move past the accidents.  He won't pee his pants in high school if he wants a date so this is a phase.  Hang in there.

Nlvonblah
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 2:42 AM

This may be crazy ...  but do you think your DS misses all the attention he was getting from  being bitten by his frienemy from the school faculty so he is getting attention by wetting himself?  In my son's Pre-K if he has 2 accidents 2 weeks in a row he is sent home for 2 weeks.  Maybe he thinks having accidents is a way to get "kicked out"?  I am not trying to upset you with my opionion. It's jst my opionion.

Lovemy2babies is right, though, early learners are more prone to regression.  Good job on the potty training!! My DS is 4 and he isn't nap time or night time potty trained yet so he can't go to Pre--K full time yet.  I am looking forward to that day so I can go back to work.  I haven't worked outside of the home in 4yrs.  Going crazy, here.

Hope things work out for you and your little guy.  N  

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 7:59 AM

I should have clarified that the pottying has been at home, not at school.  You could have a point about the frienemy attiontion.  Maybe that's what he's doing in the mornings.  He LOVES attention, so the first 2 weeks, I just brushed it off as attention-seeking and didn't ask what was bothering him, etc.  Then, after it continued, I started to try to "figure it out" by making a point to ask who he's playing with etc. 

Lots of times he's happy to get in the car to go to school, but the closer we get there, the more complaining.  He puffs up and pouts from the car to the cubby.  This week, he started arguing at home. 

I've never been one of those, "Do it because I said so" parents.  I usually try to explain things to him, but he could just be trying to manipulate me.  After all, toddlers are smart. 

Good luck on the sleep training. Wish I could offer advice, but honestly he did it himself.

Quoting Nlvonblah:

This may be crazy ...  but do you think your DS misses all the attention he was getting from  being bitten by his frienemy from the school faculty so he is getting attention by wetting himself?  In my son's Pre-K if he has 2 accidents 2 weeks in a row he is sent home for 2 weeks.  Maybe he thinks having accidents is a way to get "kicked out"?  I am not trying to upset you with my opionion. It's jst my opionion.

Lovemy2babies is right, though, early learners are more prone to regression.  Good job on the potty training!! My DS is 4 and he isn't nap time or night time potty trained yet so he can't go to Pre--K full time yet.  I am looking forward to that day so I can go back to work.  I haven't worked outside of the home in 4yrs.  Going crazy, here.

DeLaLi
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:12 AM

What about that fever? Could be something that is lingering within (a sickness). If not then I agree with previous posters that it can be about the frienemy or a simple regression. My friend started potty training at 18 months and her daughter is well over two now and is regressing.

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM

The fever was 2 weeks ago and amazingly, the illness passed rather quickly for him.  It was croup and breathing issues often linger with him. 

Any suggestions on how to deal with the frienemy situation?  Ignore it?

Quoting DeLaLi:

What about that fever? Could be something that is lingering within (a sickness). If not then I agree with previous posters that it can be about the frienemy or a simple regression. My friend started potty training at 18 months and her daughter is well over two now and is regressing.

DeLaLi
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I would talk to him about it and hopefully he'll understand mostly everything if not everything. It's not that your ignoring it, but there really isn't much you can do since the school changed the little boy. It's just the process of learning. I'm sure he'll get better soon. 

Nlvonblah
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:05 AM

It must be stressful in the morning for the two of you.  I get stressed out in the morning with my DS before school and during drop-offs, too.  I am buckling down  on my little man this week, though!!  (Because I said so.) JK!!  

Keep us posted on how this week goes.  I hope you find out what's going on.  How was your little guy doing this weekend?  Any accidents or signs of regression?  Good luck.  N

Quoting iansmommy9:

I should have clarified that the pottying has been at home, not at school.  You could have a point about the frienemy attiontion.  Maybe that's what he's doing in the mornings.  He LOVES attention, so the first 2 weeks, I just brushed it off as attention-seeking and didn't ask what was bothering him, etc.  Then, after it continued, I started to try to "figure it out" by making a point to ask who he's playing with etc. 

Lots of times he's happy to get in the car to go to school, but the closer we get there, the more complaining.  He puffs up and pouts from the car to the cubby.  This week, he started arguing at home. 

I've never been one of those, "Do it because I said so" parents.  I usually try to explain things to him, but he could just be trying to manipulate me.  After all, toddlers are smart. 

Good luck on the sleep training. Wish I could offer advice, but honestly he did it himself.

Quoting Nlvonblah:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)