Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Homeschool Routine / Teaching Preschoolers in home

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:25 PM
  • 7 Replies

My boys (3 and 4) attend preschool 4 times a week for about 3 hours a day. I don't do much with them when there home with me because I have a 10 month old that takes up a lot of my time. He has just learned to crawl and is a little more independent so I'm starting to think of what I can do with them though out the day that is more structured and I was wondering what everyone's routine was with their preschoolers during the day:)

Thanks a bunch 

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:43 PM

We get up EARLY at 6:30 or earlier lately. At that hour I'm not much fun so we just watch Disney Junior, eat breakfast, and play with his blocks(he has 4 different kinds but lately bristle blocks). By 8/8:30 we are dressed and I have a load of laundry in. By 9 we are starting school. We always start with calendar(I have a pocket chart calendar up on the wall with a Today is______. Tomorrow will be_______. And a weather chart. Then we do a dry erase handwriting practice. Then we do 1-2 math activities (usually 1 worksheet and 1 homemade game). After math we do a craft or art activity. We do either a poem (this month they are all pumpkin themed) or a little simple paper book called an emergent reader where he colors the picture and underlines the word we are learning (this month it is the word is see so the book says I see 1 pumpkin. I see 2 pumpkins....) sometimes he asks for more school so I might play an extra learning game for him or we will read through his poetry journal and talk about the artwork he has done for each one. Then we either go run errands, do more laundry, Zumba, or play play dough until lunch. 

debramommyof4
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:01 PM
We homeschool (I have a 7,6,4 and 3 year old).

We get up and eat breakfast and school starts at 8.

We do a circle time with calendar, weather, pledge and alphabet song.

Then my older girls go do independent work. With the younger 2 I use cullens abc's online preschool and we follow those activities 3 days a week. The other 3 we listen to the letter sound song, read and talk about a book and do an art project.

Then the littler ones go play while I work with the older girls.
Sebbiemama
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:39 PM

We are really unstructred compared to the other 2 posters, partially since that's my style and partially since I also have a 6 month old to care for. I just slip in little lessons throughout the day into everything we do. Typical day at home: after breakfast I let him play while I clean up. We usually read for anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour depending on my 4 year old's interest level that day. Then back to playing for an hour or two, either at home or sometimes at the park, zoo, museum, etc. He's really really REALLY into houses right now, so we'll build houses out of legos, have his little people and animals hold parties in his houses, etc. Examples of how I slip learning in: we'll count his stairs up to his houses in 1's, 2's, 3's, etc. We'll make up silly songs and try to make sure they rhyme. Sometimes he wants to get his magnetic letters out (we have a HUGE set) and spell descriptions of his toys out "This is a nice tall house". We have large children-friendly maps on the walls and a calendar, and we'll refer to these during conversation when something geography related comes up (like China in a book or someone we know who lives far away). Geography right now is mostly about "who lives here", and if I don't personally know someone who currently lives in, say Russia, I'll tell him about the animals there or someone we know who visited there or something. After lunch, I let him play while I get some things done or take care of the baby. Maybe run some errands. Play or read together a bit more here and there. Then dinner and the night-time routine (only thing that's really timed and set.)

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:42 PM

We get up around 9, and I do my morning cleaning for about 30 minutes while she plays and has tea. Then I cook breakfast and we eat, usualy takes around 45 minutes. Then I clean up breakfast and we play for a while before nap time. In the morning after breakfast we usually do two to three structured activities and then some free play if there is still time left before nap. Then we read for 30 min while she has snack, and then she goes into bed around 2 for nap. After nap she has 'naked time' as she calls it, which is potty time without pants, about 15 minutes of her sitting on the potty and reading to herself or me reading to her. Sometiems she plays with a small toy while she sits. Then we get her dressed, have a drink and a snack and if it's nice we go outside to play until it's time for me to start cooking dinner. When we come in she either has free play or I set her up with an activity in the high chair that she can do herself like stickers, peg board, coloring, beads to thread, things like that. Then we eat dinner, she gets a bath, and we do the bed routine again (30 min of reading with snack, then tooth brushing and bed).   

Oh, I ETA that if the weather is bad I try to do some gross motor activities indoors in the afternoon so she can burn off some energy. If she doesn't get outside or get to burn off energy she doesn't sleep well that night.

akm378mn
by New Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM

The biggest thing we do is READ!  (I have a 2 & 1/2 year old boy)

When we sit down to read sometimes we will read 7 or 8 books at a time. 

I do work full time, so it's hard to do too much more than that except on the weekends.  We also do Kindermusik. 

I am following a homeschool curriculum for toddlers... each week there is a theme, a vocabulary word related to the theme, a nursery rhyme, a shape or color, a letter, and a number. 

I modified the program somewhat to fit our schedule and what I want to accomplish.  We are currently on week 18.  Mostly the program is just to introduce things like numbers and letters etc to them. 

For numbers we read the "My first steps to Math" series by Jane Belk Moncure.  We also read the sound box books by the same author. 

This week, for example, our theme is Ears, so I find books about ears and listening.  I use both non fiction and picture books.  Sometimes the "reader" books are good too. 

You can find books on specific colors and shapes too. 

kajira
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I homeschool my oldest (he's special needs) - and I'm debating on homeschooling my youngest depending on where we end up moving.

I don't really do anything structured for her right now. We watch some educational shows, but mostly we read, sing, play games, and I just ask her about stuff as we go through the day, and when we are playing, we count blocks, talk about shapes and colors, and when we color or do art, I'll write letters down and have her identify them.

She'll be 3 in dec. I'm not super worried about making her know too much right now because honestly, by 3rd grade, even if she reads in first grade, vs now, most kids are all caught up to each other by 3rd grade... so whether she can read amazing in a year, or at 5-6, doesn't make a huge difference to me. I'm just going to keep learning low key, and fun for now and see where we are in a year or two.

With that said... I do have an entire list of preschool books on my amazon list for purchase for next spring. I am going to start doing work books with her when she's a little older... But for now, we just kept it fun.

kajira
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I'm pretty laid back and unstructured too, we have a routine, but it's adaptable so we can do other stuff. We pick themes for my older kiddo to do projects on, but mostly I have him work out of independant books and when he doesn't understand something, then we step in and teach until he learns it.

I want to keep my schedule open and flexible enough that I can stop and spend a week re-teaching my son fractions if he forgets something. (and with his special needs, we often have to reteach stuff because his memory has issues and he'll forget stuff he's already learned and we have to start over.) 

Quoting akm378mn:

The biggest thing we do is READ!  (I have a 2 & 1/2 year old boy)

When we sit down to read sometimes we will read 7 or 8 books at a time. 

I do work full time, so it's hard to do too much more than that except on the weekends.  We also do Kindermusik. 

I am following a homeschool curriculum for toddlers... each week there is a theme, a vocabulary word related to the theme, a nursery rhyme, a shape or color, a letter, and a number. 

I modified the program somewhat to fit our schedule and what I want to accomplish.  We are currently on week 18.  Mostly the program is just to introduce things like numbers and letters etc to them. 

For numbers we read the "My first steps to Math" series by Jane Belk Moncure.  We also read the sound box books by the same author. 

This week, for example, our theme is Ears, so I find books about ears and listening.  I use both non fiction and picture books.  Sometimes the "reader" books are good too. 

You can find books on specific colors and shapes too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN