Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Creative ways to get 4 year old's to write name.

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:17 PM
  • 17 Replies

I am a SAHM, I need ideas to prepare my four year old daughter for kindergarten. I try to teach her how to spell and write her name,she sometimes will try to trace the numbers and letters that I write down and she recently has lost the interest of learning to spell and write her name. 

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:19 PM
My son had no interest in learning that till he went to prek now he wants to write everything. I found a lot of free worksheets and ideas on Pinterest.
puka2025
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:22 PM

My Daughter used to go to preschool but i ended up moving, she never learned how to write though. Thank you. I will have to check that out.

Quoting KelliansMom:

My son had no interest in learning that till he went to prek now he wants to write everything. I found a lot of free worksheets and ideas on Pinterest.

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Write her name in bubble letters and let her use finger paint to trace over them, bathtub crayons, chalk, dry erase boards, Magna Doodle, cut letters out of craft paper and have her trace over them, tape a huge piece of butcher paper to the wall and let her use crayons to write it in big letters, have her do artwork and then 'sign' the work. Have her sign holiday cards, sometimes the real life aspect of it gets kids motivated. Have her dictate letters to you and then have her sign them, that's all I can think of from t he top of my head right now, hope something helps.

puka2025
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for all the ideas

Quoting JTE11:

Write her name in bubble letters and let her use finger paint to trace over them, bathtub crayons, chalk, dry erase boards, Magna Doodle, cut letters out of craft paper and have her trace over them, tape a huge piece of butcher paper to the wall and let her use crayons to write it in big letters, have her do artwork and then 'sign' the work. Have her sign holiday cards, sometimes the real life aspect of it gets kids motivated. Have her dictate letters to you and then have her sign them, that's all I can think of from t he top of my head right now, hope something helps.

Kasey91286
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I tried teaching my 4 year old to write his name as well.

I wrote it in highlighter on a piece of paper and have him write over it with a pencil. He did pretty well. Then I had him try to write under the highliter with pencil and he gave up half way thru because he said it looked bad. It broke my heart.

puka2025
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM
I guess I will have to try that thanks. I thought about glue and glitter but it kinda sounds messy. Lol

Quoting Kasey91286:

I wrote it in highlighter on a piece of paper and have him write over it with a pencil. He did pretty well. Then I had him try to write under the highliter with pencil and he gave up half way thru because he said it looked bad. It broke my heart.

ablackdolphin
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Check out the handwriting without tears program online

MaineMammax2
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Because of the weather change my daughter and I have been playing the spelling game "hangman" on the storm window, because it fogs up when we open the inside door. Maybe you can "fog" up windows and help her trace her name in the moisture.
Lovingtrust
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I have a similar story.  My 4-year old daughter is a perfectionist.  We don't expect it, but she expects it of herself.  She often says the same thing to me-that it looks bad.  I have been erring on the side of encouraging her to draw or use worksheets and not focus on her name as much-she tends to like this better.  She actually likes to be the one in charge of her learning and is very opinionated.  I am thinking she will be doing all she needs to in time.  That is just how every stage of her development has gone.  Since she was 10 weeks premature, we peg a lot on that.  Her younger sister is much different. I know it can be difficult, because her other friends are doing more, but we are trying not to compare. 

Best of luck with your son.  He will get there, but his path may just be differerent.  It can be frustrating, but putting pressure on him to comply may only backfire.  He is still practicing valuable skills by tracing paths or free-style drawing. 

Quoting Kasey91286:

ShortysWifey
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I think the best thing would be to put her around other kids. Especially since it's better to socialize kids before starting school. My dd will be 4 in Jan. She has learned so much in the past month. Her homework often involves tracing her name, identifying and circling items, and tracing individual letters. As for the name, the teacher writes her name in a blue highlighter and she has to trace the letters with a pencil. Maybe put her in a preschool one day a week or find other parents. I like meetup.com to find other parents in my area. BTW, I was never successful in teaching my DD any of that stuff and now she knows most of the ABC song, colors inside the lines, and can identify colors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)