Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lefty

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:40 PM
  • 14 Replies

my son is 4 and hes left handed. iv noticed he has a harder time writting things becuz of how he holds his pens pencils ect ... anyone else have a left handed child and have any tips on how to help them with their writting drawing skills? thanks

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HippoCat
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:41 PM
I have a lefty!! No tips though. I just think it's so cool that my ds is a lefty!
aiden032809
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:44 PM

i knew from the moment i first saw him in the ultra sound the he would be left handed and he def is. my sister is also left handed and i remember her having such a hard time but my parents didnt do anything she just had to figure it out on her own but i would like to help my son as much as i can .... i know it can be hard sometimes everything is for right handed people lol but very cool indeed! 

Quoting HippoCat:

I have a lefty!! No tips though. I just think it's so cool that my ds is a lefty!

HippoCat
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM

It's good to know it can be challenging. I'll have to keep an eye on it. Thanks.

Quoting aiden032809:

i knew from the moment i first saw him in the ultra sound the he would be left handed and he def is. my sister is also left handed and i remember her having such a hard time but my parents didnt do anything she just had to figure it out on her own but i would like to help my son as much as i can .... i know it can be hard sometimes everything is for right handed people lol but very cool indeed! 

Quoting HippoCat:

mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:45 PM
I have the opposite problem. I'm a lefty and was raised by a left handed mom, but 3 yr old DD is a righty.

I try to the best of my ability to guide her writing and drawing with my right hand. It seems to be working so far. (If nothing else, I take comfort that my rightie sisters were able to learn from a lefty- certain tasks just took a little longer.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twicethemomjess
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Lay the pennin the table pointing at him. Tell him to pinch it.
Ashley.Rae
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM
2 out of 3 of my kiddos are lefties! :) and I'm pregnant with number 4, can't wait to see what she is! I'm a leftie myself so that will be interesting that half (or more!) of my kids will be left handed as well
dbush0584
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a lefty and I found that just helping her find a comfortable position to hold her pencil helped a lot. Lefties have it hard because some teachers try to get Them to write a certain way. It took a while to get her comfortable but now it's better. She's in kinder now and had little problem.
mommyofnoah208
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:06 PM
My 5 year old is a lefty! I am not sure
.Angelica.
by Angie on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:06 AM

my kids both used both hands, and wrote fine with both. here's a bump

squeakers2
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Have your sister help him with writing if you can, or another person you may know who is left handed. My sister is 13 yrs older than me and we are both left handed. She taught me how to write and tie my shoes. I just could not do it until she showed me, then it was like someone flipped a switch. Both my parents are confused on how I do somethings. They are right handed. For the most part, I have adapted to most things being right hand oriented, but things like writing, shoes, eating, and a few others I just cannot grasp without using my left hand. Also, sprial notebooks are a lefty's worst enemy. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)