Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

As Much As They Want? - Now with Video!

Posted by   + Show Post

On Halloween, do you let your kiddos eat as much candy as they want? Or do you limit it?

mummy

This is from a couple of years ago... thought I'd share!

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
RobynS
by Robyn on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes! It's fun to see them in an adorable costume and get ooohs and ahhhhs... and not have to worry too much about them overindulging. :)

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Well, this is my son's first halloween. He is only 16 months old so more than likely, mommy will be eating most of his candy. Of course, I'll let him have the pieces I know he can eat without choking. It's more for fun that we are going out.

ilovemykids732
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Limit it... Like 5 pieces that night... and 5 everyday afterwards... [[5 funsized packs of candy, not 5 skittles lol]]

bebcarroll
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM

As much as they want, because in the half an hour between when they get home and when they go to bed, guess how many pieces my kids can eat?  About 5 by the time they get the wrapper open.  (Sugar does NOT keep my kids up).

RobynS
by Robyn on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Hahaha! 5 Skittles... that would harsh!

Quoting ilovemykids732:

Limit it... Like 5 pieces that night... and 5 everyday afterwards... [[5 funsized packs of candy, not 5 skittles lol]]

RobynS
by Robyn on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Ah... yes, if DD had to open her own, it would take a while. DS could eat quite a bit in that time!

I remember reading that it's not actually the sugar that keeps kids awake, but the excitement that usually accompanies the sugary treats. Not sure if that's true or not...

Quoting bebcarroll:

As much as they want, because in the half an hour between when they get home and when they go to bed, guess how many pieces my kids can eat?  About 5 by the time they get the wrapper open.  (Sugar does NOT keep my kids up).

ilovemykids732
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I just figured I would clarify that its not that way... that would be super mean... LOL

Quoting RobynS:

Hahaha! 5 Skittles... that would harsh!

Quoting ilovemykids732:

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Limit.

DS still hasn't finished his small pack of jelly belly jelly beans that had like 10 in them that he got last week.
RobynS
by Robyn on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:17 PM

good

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Limit.

DS still hasn't finished his small pack of jelly belly jelly beans that had like 10 in them that he got last week.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:23 PM
we don't buy candy and no one here gives it out, at the most a cookie sample at one of the grocery sites and even that's rare. I don't buy junk food or candy except on rare occasion ( birthday or some sort of celebration)

Quoting RobynS:

ours get one sweet treat a day--if they've eaten a good dinner. DD is a picky eater and sometimes she just forfeits the sweet treat because she doesn't want to eat.

We always have tons of candy from parades and birthday parties and such. And the bank and the grocery store... the tellers/cashiers always hand out suckers!

Every once in a while, DH bags up a lot of it and takes it to work.

Quoting emkirkley:

limit.

we did a carnival on sunday and there's tons of candy already here, they can have one piece at a time with a healthy snack during the day, and a couple pieces at night if they've earned a bedtime treat that day.

RobynS
by Robyn on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM

that's awesome! Where do you live? I wish people didn't hand out candy so much here. Even at school, rewards are often junk food (read a lot of books? get a free greasy pizza. Good behavior for the whole month? Here, have some candy). UGH. :/

Quoting emkirkley:

we don't buy candy and no one here gives it out, at the most a cookie sample at one of the grocery sites and even that's rare. I don't buy junk food or candy except on rare occasion ( birthday or some sort of celebration)

Quoting RobynS:

ours get one sweet treat a day--if they've eaten a good dinner. DD is a picky eater and sometimes she just forfeits the sweet treat because she doesn't want to eat.

We always have tons of candy from parades and birthday parties and such. And the bank and the grocery store... the tellers/cashiers always hand out suckers!

Every once in a while, DH bags up a lot of it and takes it to work.

Quoting emkirkley:

limit.

we did a carnival on sunday and there's tons of candy already here, they can have one piece at a time with a healthy snack during the day, and a couple pieces at night if they've earned a bedtime treat that day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN