Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Walking in Shoes?

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:16 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son is sixteen months old and has been walking since 11 months. I've noticed though that he seems slightly unsteady in shoes. We went trick or treating last night, due to the poor weather conditions today so they reschulded it for last night. Anyway, he was walking and he kept falling down! He's usually a good walker when he's barefoot but he tends to have issues walking in shoes. Any ideas as to why this might be? He doesn't have a whole lot of expierence with walking in shoes as he was born in the summer and i never really put him in shoes until about two or three months ago because it started cooling down.

Thanks in advance for any of your suggestions!

CafeMom Tickers

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunflower970
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:17 PM
http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-buy-baby-and-toddler-shoes_60.bc
I'm not sure if this is helpful or not?? :)
sunflower970
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Oops sorry it's not "clickable"
Zirallan
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

When going barefoot, the toes offer help with balancing. In shoes, obviously that support is gone. It does take them a bit to get used to walking in shoes. With some kids, you can expect them to trip up a bit more every time you have to buy them bigger shoes for a couple of years too.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Wrong size?...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhwrn1
by Brooke on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:52 AM

I always used sneakers for my kids. Kids can just walk better barefoot, it's actually better for their feet to let them be barefoot whenever possible (I know this isn't always possible when out and about). Try going to get him fitted at a Stride Right and asking for shoes there. I always found them helpful. Then once you have an idea, you can go to other stores that might be less. My advice is don't skimp on shoes. I think good shoes are important and cheap shoes dont' give the same support.

pumpkin1423
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:50 AM

My son walked really funny and fell a few times the first few times he had shoes on. And we had him fitted at Stride rite... I think it's just the process of getting used to them. 

JenniferMiller0
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Wrong size?...

I'm pretty sure they are the right size. I'm not sure. LOL. One of his feet is a bit longer than the other one.

CafeMom Tickers

Molimomma
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM

When my son was about that age at first I used the soft Robeez shoes and then he quickly graduated to little sneakers.  I think it is the rubber grippiness of the soles that throws them off a little!

mem82
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM
My daughter Nikki still struggles with certain types of shoes like boots. Are they a light material so they aren't too heavy?
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:43 PM

What kind of shoes are you using?  DS was an early walker (9 months) and my MIL insisted he wear the hard-bottom shoes we wore as kids. He really struggled with balance, so I took them off and let him learn to walk barefoot. When he wore shoes, he wore a soft sole (Step 1) shoe from Stride Rite until he got really good at walking. You might consider taking him to a shoe store and having him measured to make sure he's wearing the correct size...they can also tell you if he needs a wide cut.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)