Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Do you wear pajamas to take your kid to preschool?

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 59 Replies

I Wear Pajamas to Drop My Kids Off at School & I'm Not Ashamed

by Jacqueline Burt 

pajamas

Every school year, I start out with the same good intentions: To NOT wear pajamas when I drop my kids off in the morning. Every September, I tell myself the same, sad lie: This year, I'll actually get dressed before I take them to school. In real clothes. With buttons, and zippers, and no elastic waistbands. Or cartoon characters. 

Yeah. Wanna know what I was wearing when I walked my son to third grade today? Homer Simpson pajama pants, a jack o' lantern t-shirt I've had for -- literally -- 26 years, and a puffy black winter jacket. And you wanna know why? Because I remembered something very important, something I remember and forget every year ...

Pajamas ARE real clothes. They are!! The dictionary even says so:

clothes n.pl. 1. garments for the body; articles of dress; wearing apparel. 2. bedclothes

See?? Pajamas may in fact be the truest item of clothing available! Not only are they "garments for the body," they're (sort of) "bedclothes!" Take that, judgy fancy moms!

Of course, that brings me to the real conflict I have with wearing pajamas to drop my kids off at school. It's not my the potential shame my kids might be feeling about having a mom who wears floral print boxer shorts and a Snoopy t-shirt and calls it an "outfit," it's the hot, glaring eyes of other mothers staring me and my lazy-ass fashion sense down. 

Now, the funny thing is, ordinarily I'm not the type who cares what other people think of me. At all. And it's not that I care if any other moms think I'm a horrible dresser -- it's the associated implication that my slovenly appearance means I'm somehow unfit to parent. She can't even dress herself! What must her house look like? (It looks like the house of someone who wears Homer Simpson pants outside, okay??)

But, then I remember the thing about pajamas being clothes, and how that means judgment boils down to personal taste, and how I want my kids to be true to themselves so that means I have to be true to myself and THAT means I have to wear pajamas to school.

And that's that.

Do you wear pajamas to take your kid to school?

Image via Amy Jane Gustafson/Flickr

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:23 PM
I usely just throw on a pair sweat pants or jeans but I understand the pjs thing for sure
RobynS
by Robyn on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I LOVE pajamas--they're one of my fave things in the world. I don't wear them when I take DD to pre-school, but I wouldn't judge someone else for doing it.

I feel more ready to tackle my day if I'm dressed. If I stayed in my PJs I would never get anything done! LOL

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM

No but I'm usually in workout clothes so not much difference :)

storkradio193
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Nope, but I don't get dressed up nicely.

AEB_MRB
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:20 PM

mine get picked up but yes unless i had to leave right after last pick up i'm in my PJs at pick up and sometimes drop off 5 hours later.

mariesmama
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:02 PM

yes!

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:04 PM

My husband  take  our son to preschool. On the rare days I take him I'm dressed for the day. 

Cmgmqmmom
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:05 PM
4 moms liked this
No. It's lazy. It's not that hard to throw on some jeans.
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM

No, I'm heading to work, so I'm dressed for work when i walk him in.  On the days I'm off and he goes, I usually wear workout clothes or jeans.

bpryce
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
No. I shower and get dressed before waking my son up, bathing him, dressing him, feeding him. As well as my infant daughter. We drop my son off and then I take my daughter to the rec center to play.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)