Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Help from an Experienced Mom- development question

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:09 PM
  • 33 Replies
My 27 month old says a bunch of words, can count to 20, knows ABCs and can recognize letters and numbers. But should I be worried that he doesn't form sentences? I recently had a play date with several friends (we all have 2 year olds-we were preggo together), and I noticed the other kids were speaking short sentences. Especially the girls. Should I get him checked or give him a couple months to catch up? He's further ahead than all the others as far as knowing his letters and numbers but behind with his sentences.
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
My gut says give him some time. I can't remember when my kids started using sentences but your son is just on the other side of 2 so I don't think it would hurt to give him 2-3 more months and then see if he's made progress.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristinas8
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Is he in preschool or have other young children to interact with regularly? If not that could be all it is. My youngest was behind and 3 months into daycare she was making huge progress. Sometimes kids just need each other to catch on.

miss.wilfred
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Yes he attends, he started at around 15 months when I went back to work. He was way ahead then too. But he has learned structure from being there because at home we were on "Kaleb Time" lol now he has a schedule

Quoting kristinas8:

Is he in preschool or have other young children to interact with regularly? If not that could be all it is. My youngest was behind and 3 months into daycare she was making huge progress. Sometimes kids just need each other to catch on.

mem82
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM
He sounds normal. My boys didn't really blossom with speaking until 3.
miss.wilfred
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Yea my gut is telling me wait but because most of my sisters children (3/5) had speech and development delays I've been weary about it.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

My gut says give him some time. I can't remember when my kids started using sentences but your son is just on the other side of 2 so I don't think it would hurt to give him 2-3 more months and then see if he's made progress.

ccnstanczak
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:21 PM

i would not worry.

kristinas8
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:21 PM

It would never hurt to talk to his pediatritian and get their input. 

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM
If there is a family history, it never hurts to look into it to rule it out but a couple months will also not be a huge set back if you wait a bit. I say trust your instincts on this one.

Quoting miss.wilfred:

Yea my gut is telling me wait but because most of my sisters children (3/5) had speech and development delays I've been weary about it.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Milk_Chocolate
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I wouldnt' be too concerned just yet. Especially since he is otherwise saying words. My niece is three months younger than my son and has always been ahead of him in speech. It is certainly something you can work on with him at home. Do you read to him often?

miss.wilfred
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Everyday, during the day the iPad reads to him and at night we read one on one with physical books. He likes the iPad better because my character voices aren't as good lol

Quoting Milk_Chocolate:

I wouldnt' be too concerned just yet. Especially since he is otherwise saying words. My niece is three months younger than my son and has always been ahead of him in speech. It is certainly something you can work on with him at home. Do you read to him often?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)