Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

First Haircut?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:06 AM
  • 18 Replies
Although im sure there is not any specific standard reguarding what age a child should get his/her first haircut, id like some feedback as to what age you ladies chose to have your child's/childrens cut, and why. My step daughter is 3 1/2 years old, and my recent suggestion to have her ends trimmed is the first time it has ever been brought up. Her hair is this rare, gorgeous, flawless blend of light brown locks that are in between waves and curles, which fall perfectly no matter how crazy it looks when she emerges from her room in the morning after a deep slumber that began with a wet head. It never has a tangle, and a single running of a brush through it is all it needs. Yes, she is one lucky little rugrat. However, her ends have appeared slightly rough lately, so I mentioned this to my mother in law, whom has cut hair for a million years and was picking my sd up for the day, and she agreed to trim the ends if she got around to it. I hadnt seen or spoken to her since that day (a week ago) and didnt notice a difference, but got an angry text from my sd's bio mom over the weekend about how important her daughters first haircut was to her but id gone behind her back and im insensitive and blah blah blah. Oh, and now she wont have a lock of hair to put in sds baby book. I was unaware that baby books include a toddler who is almost four, but thats beside the point. Also, the fact that this woman tried to abort my sd by injecting meth 24/7 during her pregnancy, only to have a 9-month incarceration foil that plan, then lost custody of her by proving herself grossly unfit, BUT not being present to collect the lock of hair during such a milestone is a devastating blow.......*sigh*.......nvm. I really just want to know what ages you mothers chose to have your kids get trimmed up, and how signifigant was the experience, in your opinion? I really am just purely curious since I have yet to have my,own. P.S., I spoke with my mother in law, and come,to find out, SHE NEVER EVEN TRIMMED SD's HAIR!! lol
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluecalm
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:04 AM
I think the first haircut is a sentimental milestone. My dh went with me when my oldest boy was 2 and had his first haircut. The barber gave us a certificate and a lock of his hair.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tamithaR
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:22 AM
Awe! Ok, thats really sweet. I am actually thankful that my mother in law didnt get to trimming her hair that day cause if bm claims its important to her, than ill just assume it truely is and let her do the honors when she feels the need.

Quoting Bluecalm:

I think the first haircut is a sentimental milestone. My dh went with me when my oldest boy was 2 and had his first haircut. The barber gave us a certificate and a lock of his hair.

ScrChk23
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I think it is a milestone as well.  I kept a lock of each of my boys' hair so I could scrapbook it for them.  My oldest was two before his first haircut.  My youngest was about 19 months.  To each their own.

trfgirl56701
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM

DH and I took DS to get his first haircut on his 1st birthday. I'd had people tell me I should have cut it sooner since his hair was longer. There were quite a few people who thought he was a girl. It's definitely a milestone but I wanted to wait until his 1st birthday to do it. The place I took him to was nice enough to give me 2 locks of hair for our scrapbook and one for my mil.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:31 AM
My dd just had a hair trim and she is 4.5. They have me a certificate and two locks of hair. One went in her baby book and the certificate and other lock is in a photo frame.

It's a sentimental milestone.
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM

My son was born with a full head of hair(they even put it in a little faux hawk after his first bath) so we've had a LOT of haircuts but I did want his first to be special. I worked at Disney through college and knew the barber shop on Main Street had a "first hair cut package" where you get a piece of hair, certificate and a pair of Mickey ears which I had my heart set on so I waited until we went back to FL to visit family and got his hair cut there. It. Was. Adorable and exactly what I wanted (I was shocked I actually teared up a little because he didn't look like a baby anymore after that.). I think moms tend to make a bigger deal out of this milestone than it needs to be but I think it's because that's all the hair they were born with and after that it's never quite the same so I think that's why.

Coloradogirl026
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I agree with the others here - my girls' first cuts were special, and I did save a lock for their baby books.  I think a lot of the books contain pages for "firsts," even if they're no longer babies.  Anyway, I'm glad you were able to avoid a bigger situation since your MIL didn't actually cut your step-daughter's hair - yay!

And I might be jealous of your step-daughter's hair.... just a tad.wink mini  It sounds gorgeous!

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM

We first cut my son's hair a couple weeks after he turned 1. He had a full head of hair at birth and it was getting long by the time he turned one. He's had 2-3 haircuts per year since then.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:18 PM

my son got his hair trimmed at 13 months. but my daughter is 22 months and doesn't have much hair, so no trim yet.

Twin2Walker
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM

i haven't come to that stage yet myself, but my brothers dd is almost 7 and they haven't cut her hair yet...so Idk

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)