Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My daughter says she hurts...

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:07 AM
  • 38 Replies

My daughter has been complaining that her vagina hurts.  She is 3 so obviously she doesn't say it like that, she says it is her butt, but she pulls away whenever I try to scrub her down there during bath time.  When I try to investigate to see if there is a rash or something, she complains the whole time that it hurts, but there is nothing, no rash, no obvious smell, nothing to indicate an infection.  I have taken her to the doctor about this before and all he does is like a quick glance (and when I say quick I mean like a second, there is no way he could even see a rash that way) and does a urine sample, says she is fine and sends us on our way.  I don't know what to do, because obviously she is not fine, I mean she should't be hurting down there.  Any recommendations?  Has anyone had this problem before?

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RobynS
by Robyn on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Are you using soap when you wash her there? If so, stop... that could be irritating her and it also kills off the good bacteria that needs to be there.

Beyond that, I would suggest getting a second opinion. I hate to be sexist, but I would take her to a FEMALE doctor. After all, who better to understand the female body than another female, right?

Good luck!! :)

ChWuGu
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Yeah I do use soap.  So I guess I will stop that.  Thank you

Quoting RobynS:

Are you using soap when you wash her there? If so, stop... that could be irritating her and it also kills off the good bacteria that needs to be there.

Beyond that, I would suggest getting a second opinion. I hate to be sexist, but I would take her to a FEMALE doctor. After all, who better to understand the female body than another female, right?

RobynS
by Robyn on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM

No problem! I didn't know that for a long time... the vagina is like a "self-cleaning" oven--no soap required. Killing that good bacteria can cause yeast infections.

Quoting ChWuGu:

Yeah I do use soap.  So I guess I will stop that.  Thank you

Quoting RobynS:

tiarra7022
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM

My daughter does this same thing. It really bothered me for awhile but I use a female doctor and she did a good check and suggested the no soap thing. Which I thought was easy enough till I realized the have bubble baths. Stopped all of the and now she doesnt complain. Once in a while she will say something about it but thats only if we are talking about our baby having a rash.

VinVanMom
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Don't scrub the Gina just a gentle wash
Zirallan
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Definitely just use water to wash that area. Soap is very bad for the female bits. The comparison to a self-cleaning oven is a good one.. A lot of adult women who use feminine cleaning products also tend to have chronic yeast infections.

Until this clears up, stop with any bubble baths too. They're really not good for little girls and can cause a lot of problems in sensitive areas that might not even produce a visible rash (as well as urinary tract infections in both boys and girls). With our oldest we can't use any soap but Dove and can't use any bubble bath at all or she ends up having the same problem. Our youngest has never even had a bubble bath and likely never will so long as she needs someone else to prepare the bath for her.

ChWuGu
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM

This is weird, but her and her baby brother bath together.  Should I stop that?  Because he uses Berts Bee's soap and according to the bottle when it gets in the water it is as good as using it as soap.

Quoting Zirallan:

Definitely just use water to wash that area. Soap is very bad for the female bits. The comparison to a self-cleaning oven is a good one.. A lot of adult women who use feminine cleaning products also tend to have chronic yeast infections.

Until this clears up, stop with any bubble baths too. They're really not good for little girls and can cause a lot of problems in sensitive areas that might not even produce a visible rash (as well as urinary tract infections in both boys and girls). With our oldest we can't use any soap but Dove and can't use any bubble bath at all or she ends up having the same problem. Our youngest has never even had a bubble bath and likely never will so long as she needs someone else to prepare the bath for her.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Maybe also get her a probiotic to drink each day? That may help get good bacteria.
Zirallan
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I don't see anything wrong with a pair of young children bathing together. I would stop any free floating soap in the water such as Berts Bees or bubble bath though. Let them play in clean water with no soap and then wash them up, rinse them off and get them out so that she isn't sitting in soapy water. Some little girls will never have a problem, others (such as my oldest) can start itching or hurting after just a few minutes.

ChWuGu
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Thank you very much.  Yeah I usually wash them (and I wash her with that soap too because she has bad ezcema) then I let them play for a while.  But I guess I will stop that.

Quoting Zirallan:

I don't see anything wrong with a pair of young children bathing together. I would stop any free floating soap in the water such as Berts Bees or bubble bath though. Let them play in clean water with no soap and then wash them up, rinse them off and get them out so that she isn't sitting in soapy water. Some little girls will never have a problem, others (such as my oldest) can start itching or hurting after just a few minutes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN