Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Getting Rid of the Bottle

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:12 PM
  • 11 Replies

My daughter is 19mo old and still LOVES her "bubba." She will drink water and juice out of a sippy but will not drink milk out of it, just the bottle. She is down to 3-4 a day but that to me still seems like a lot. My doctore said to just throw them away but I think it could be a disaster.... any thoughts?

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Throw them away. Kids are WAY more adaptable than we give them credit for. The first day or 2 may be tough but if she sees you are serious and they aren't coming back, she'll move on. If you keep one around and cave, you'll set yourself way back and make it 10x harder the next time. Toss them and be done with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Havong the same issue but she only gets one right before bedtime.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Twin2Walker
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I give my dd one bottle at bed time. She gets the sippy all day and anytime she wakes up. She is 17 months.

SnowWhieQueen
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:30 PM

try watering it down a little everyday...in the end my my kids just gave it up when they were ready truth b told tho

lap1733
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I have a 4 year old and 2 year old...they both still drink milk from a bottle at night.  I also have a 12 year old...he does not take a bottle!  If it makes them happy and makes your life easier, go with it.  Best advice I ever recevied was from my mother in law of all people.  She said, it's not like they are going to take the bottle to college!  They WILL give it up and give it up on their own terms and it won't be a traumatic experience for either of you!

Annie_21
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Just slowly ween her off of the bottle. That is what I did with our daughter. We slowly transitioned her to a sippy cup to where that is all she wanted. Eventually she didnt even want the bottle anymore. It is a slow transition but will happen, just stay strong! The doctors dont always know everything like they seem to think they do.

pumpkin1423
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I have to agree with the first response. Just take it away and only offer a sippy or a cup. My son refused milk in anything but a bottle...but would drink water and juice out of other cups. We just kept offering up the milk until he finally got the point. Supplement with cheese and vitamins during the transition. 

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM

My just turned 2 year old is the same way :/.  We can't get rid of that milk either, because he needs it for sustinance!!!  He only uses it at night (thank god)......but still....we are still wondering the same thing!

AzHunterGirl11
by New Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM

My DS is 2 years and still has a bottle of milk for nap and before bed. I've tried making him go to sleep without one - we did this for a week and each and every time he would stay awake laying in bed and toss and turn and never get comfortable enough to actually fall asleep. At bedtime, he would stay awake until midnight, and then by then I would finally cave in and give him a bottle so he could go to sleep (his bedtime is 9, and I was also 9 months pregnant with our DD), and then I could get some rest. My plan is to just let him have the bottle, and he'll get rid of it when he's done. He does ok on sippy's every once in a while, but there are those times where nothing but a bottle will do for him. I figure that he started sleeping in a "big boy" bed (an xl-twin) at 17 months old, and is potty training, I'll just give him the bottle. *Note - he just turned 2 in August...

IUMer
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

My grandson turned 3 last month and he is allowed a bottle of milk at naptime and 1 bottle of milk at bedtime.  All the rest of the time he will drink out of anything but those are the only times he gets bottles. =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)