Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

4 yr old DD still doesn't know all her letters and can't write name

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:06 AM
  • 21 Replies

My youngest child out of 4 is 4 yrs old and is in her 2nd yr of pre school.  she'll start Kindergarden in the fall 2014.  However I am worried that it seems she is behind where my other 3 were at her age.  Wondering if I am slacking off somehow or whatever but she still can't write her name and doesn't know all her letters....

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calvinsmommy18
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Just practice with her. Try to make it a fun game. My ds is 5 and pretty smart but writing is definitely his weak point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mariesmama
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:31 AM

the letters will come do what my daughters preschool is doing work on tracing one letter a week and tracing her name as for letters does she know the abc song? my daughteris the youngest 4 yr old at her school

Tasha911471
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Just heard of a site called a letter a week . I am going to try it wit my four year old give it a go if you are worried

mem82
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think that makes her behind. My oldest did that stuff at 3,but my second didn't until he was 6. Now, there doesn't seem to be a difference when you compare the two.
.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM

just keep practicing. repetition is key, and make it fun

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I would continue to work with her.  You still have time :).  My son knew all of his letters, but has a hard time writing....he's in 1st grade now and still struggles with handwriting.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd is in the same boat as far as writing.  She's 4 (5 at the end of July) and was set to start K next fall.  We are almost certain we are going to hold her back.  She's known her letters since she was 2 and phonics since last year (she's beginning to read) but she still can only write a handful of letters.  She can't write her name at all.  That's their main focus with her right now at her Montessori.  We bought her a Kumon tracing book from Amazon and she loves it.  The teacher made sure to emphasize that any tracing books need to be LOWERCASE because when doing actual writing, most letters are lowercase.  I had a tough time finding one until I came across the Kumon one.

She'll get it.  I believe my son was 4 1/2 before he started writing his name and, now, in 1st grade his writing is way beyond his grade level.  He was writing short stories last year in K with a full beginning, middle and end.  It took some time to click but, once it did, man he took off with it!

VTdirtRd
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Every child progresses at different paces. Do not think you are slacking in any way. If things don't seem to click for her by next winter then you should chat with her teacher and/or Dr. My daughter was speaking in full sentences at 1 yr and my son who is 16mo calls me, his dad and his sister "Dada" still. That's the only consistent word in his vocabulary, not even uhho, milk, up or more.
larissa5512
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Here in montana they don't start teaching how to write until kindergarten. They worry more about alphabet and 123s and just getting used to going to school. My son is now in 1st grade and an read and write and does addition and subtraction. Dd in preschool is wroking on drawing letters. Mostly letter recognition. She will be fine :)
jlbelknap35
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

call your school district and see if they have any testing to see if she is behind and if they can help get her caught up before the next school year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)