Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

22 month old refusing to use eating utensils?

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM
  • 11 Replies

Has anyone else had an issue getting their LO to use forks & spoons? My 22 month old will occasionally, but for the most part, flat out refuses. Any tips or tricks?

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HippoCat
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. My son is almost four and only uses a spoon... And sometimes it's only after I remind him. He knows how to use it, but just prefers using his fingers sometimes I guess. He is also a very picky eater and doesn't like any food that requires a fork. I have actually heard this a few times, but we met with a behaviorist and she said just to let him play with his food if he wants to and that he doesn't have to use utensils. Apparently it helps kids expand their diet if they are allowed to touch and experience their food more than just eating it. I don't know if you have a picky eater, but it certainly put my mind at ease about using the utensils
mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:55 AM
1 mom liked this
just keep offering.
My children got utinsles as soon as they started solids,around 6mo. And practice makes perfect!

My 22mo eats soup,cereal, and uses his silver wear for everything
mem82
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter 26 months used to hold a fork in one hand and feed herself with the other. Lol now, she will use a fork unless things are hard to scoop.
.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd just keep offering it. my daughter is 22 months as well. she usually starts out with the utensil, but quickly abandons it for her hands.

othermom
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Just keep giving them to your chikld tp use. My 4 year old still occasionally trys to eat by hand

MrsErdos2011
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

My 2 year old only uses a fork on occasion and will only use a spoon when he eats cereal. Most times he likes to play with his food while he eats it.

gsmommy2204
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Thanks, ladies. That makes me feels better. I appreciate your input!

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

At this age, I woudln't worry about it.  Its hard to use and rather frustrating, especially if food fall off.

Continue to offer utensils at mealtimes, though.  And do your best to offer foods to her that are easy to poke with a fork or scoop with a spoon.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Just keep offering but don't force it.

DS is 2.5 & knows how to use a spoon & fork but often just uses his hand.
sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Yikes, my 2 1/2 year old only uses the spoon, but for the most part he only wants me to feed him. I guess this is something I need to work on. I guess we should just keep offering it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)