Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Are you teaching your kids about GOD, if so how?

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM
  • 100 Replies

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sebbiemama
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM
5 moms liked this

Nope. We don't believe in God and our boys are both too young to even really notice that other people do, so we haven't really had to talk about it yet. Someday we will try to teach them about all the different things and ways that people think about God. Luckily we have a lot of family and friends who believe different things (grandparents are Catholic, aunt is Wiccan, another aunt comes from a Muslim family, my parents are Hindu, etc.) so we have a lot of people he can meet and talk to about this.

mindi6103
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. We take them to church & DS goes to a Christian school. DD will when she is school age.
Roo1234
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM

You teach anything and everything (values, morals) through being an example regardless of your beliefs.  

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this

No, I'm agnostic bordering on atheist.  DH is a believer but doesn't go to church.  I don't believe in putting my views on my kids, no matter what they are.  We have decided that when/if they ask to attend church or Sunday school with a friend (or synagogue - my 2 best friends are Jewish) then they are welcome to go and form their own opinions.  Until then, we answer any questions they have honestly without inserting our personal beliefs on the subject.

At this point, I focus on teaching them honesty, trustworthiness, respect, right and wrong, empathy, tolerance, etc.  We don't do it in the name of anyone or any one belief.  We do it because it's right, period.

teacherlady8
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM
I've worried about this a lot as well! My husband & I are atheist but live in a super religious region. We plan on teaching our 2 yo about all beliefs when he's old enough to understand because we want him to be well-rounded, but I'm terrified of the judgment he'll get at school and such. I'm so afraid he's going to be incredibly confused and don't know what's the best way to explain. We both grew up in church-going families & are the first on both sides to not attend/baptize our kid. I think Bible stories teach good morals, but I think they're just stories--not real. But also don't want my son to be closed-minded to others' beliefs either. Your thoughts?
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:51 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes mine both started awana at a very young age plus I'm working through a bible curriculum with my oldest and my preschooler often listens in.
debramommyof4
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
We just talk about it and they read their Bibles. They are 3,4,6 and 7. We discuss anything they want.
ardiaxe
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Not really. My husband and I are atheists. Religion has only been brought up when my five year old asked about death. He wanted to know what happens. I told him what some people believe such as reincarnation and heaven, and that he can choose to believe what he feels is right.
.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:15 AM
4 moms liked this

yes, we go to church and both kids love veggie tales

Gooberzilla
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:24 AM
1 mom liked this
No, we are atheist, but we have taught her that saying things like "Oh my god" and "Jesus Christ" are rude and they hurt other people's feelings so she should not say them in public.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)