Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Speech Therapy for Pre-Schoolers

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:01 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hi Ladies - have any of you used speech therapy for your toddler (mine has a lisp).  If so, what was the process (hired one or suggestions made by the pre school)...also, were you happy with the progress your child made if you selected a therapist to assist?

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HippoCat
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Yes, my son goes to speech therapy to help him use language. Talk to your pediatrician because you may need a prescription for it. My insurance is really tricky with speech therapy, but I don't think others have had as much trouble as I do. You can also contact your school district and you may be able  to get one free through them as early intervention. I am very happy with the results. We are on our second private speech therapist and I see more results through her than the first one. Sometimes it's hit and miss with therapists so you might need to change if you don't get a good one. 

BabyLove810
by New Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Thank you so much for your response...greatly appreciated

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM

My dd is in speech therapy now but for an auditory processing delay.  I have 2 friends who are speech therapists so they made a personal referral to a therapist closer to my house (they are both 30 mins away).  My insurance doesn't cover any of it :(

I'm not an expert but I wouldn't be concerned about a lisp at this point.  Many young kids have lisps that they outgrow.  It's not something that I would shell out money for at this point but, again, no expert here.  I had speech therapy for a lisp when I was little but I was 8 or 9 and it cleared up pretty quickly.

Also, I just tried to receive services for my dd thru our school district and was denied.  I don't know about all districts but ours wouldn't offer services for a lisp.  They only accept kids who have delays that severly impact their learning. 

nada2000
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Yea, I would give it time

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I started it with my son when he was 3.  He is now 5 and will be exited from speech at the end of the school year.  When he was first diagnosed, he had a severe speech and language delay.  Because of early speech therapy, he is caught up.

You do not need to go to your pediatrician.  Speech and language therapy is FREE in all states through your local public school district starting at the age of 3.  Call the special education department at the central office for the school district you are districted for. If your child is younger than 3, contact the Early Intervention program of your state.

You do not need a doctor's referral.

Teaching~"Once you master the art of facing a room full of teenagers, and come out alive, you can do ANYTHING."

mem82
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:24 PM

My boys took a while to lose the "baby" sounds in their voice but it was basically fine by 4 or 5.

KLmomof2
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:52 PM

My son was in speech therapy, for a lisp, and he is continuing it as he is in kindergarten. Idk if its the same everywhere but they have school related services out there that once they are started on the program then it follows them when they are in school as long as they are in need of it. I didnt need insurance for it or anything it was free. SO if you check with your physician they might even tell you where you can go and get into the program. it does sometimes take awhile to get in until they do all the paperwork and evaluations etc but i think its worth it my son is doing really well and even though he has it in kindergarten he is still trying to get his G's to be gs rather than D's so he will get there

BabyLove810
by New Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Thanks Ladies...really appreciate your help! DD is an only child, so I tend to worry about everything probably more than I should.

JennaPBug
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM

My ds has been in it since April and I've seen a huge improvement. All I needed to get in was his Pedi to say he had a speech delay, he got dx with ASD later on but I didn't need it to qualify for therapy. He only knew like 3 2-word phrases and didn't understand questions at all. Now he's saying 3 word sentences and can answer any yes or no question with ease.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
jesusgirl76
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM
DD is in speech therapy, although looking back all the therapist did was try to get her to play with toys so I'm looking for a different therapist
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)