Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

boys in dance?

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:38 PM
  • 11 Replies

hello everyone

I am new to Cafemom, So i am looking to find out if any other little boys are taking dance, I signed my 3yr  old son up and he started back in september and he loves it, its a combo class tap, ballet, and jazz. he is the only boy in the entire studio. I have looked online and can not seem to find any dance pants made for toddler boys (3yo) it seems as if they are only made for older boys or for only girls. i find this frustrating.

If anyone has any suggestions or know of where to get dance items for boys (not so much costumes) but the dance wear while in studio please let me know

thanks so much!!

Also share your sons story if he is in dance and how he likes or dislikes it!! :)

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Good luck! None of my kids dance so I don't know how to help.

Lunarprancer
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:52 PM

eBay 

sweetleanne
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:56 PM

My DD was in dance camp and so was a couple of boys. The boys did great and wore gym chothes for comfort. Check into gymnasic wear for boys as they have the tighter uniforms.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Does the studio not have a uniform he must wear?  

Try Capezio or Danskin

http://www.allaboutdance.com/dance-clothing/child/page1

http://www.capezio.com/Childrens/Childrens-Dancewear/

KLmomof2
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM

well considering he is the first boy at the studio no, he doesnt really have a "uniform" yet, but he has a recital coming up and i am looking for black dance pants for boys so it can go with his "costume" top

also it seems as if the smallest they have is 5. Its a shame that they cant come up with more dance clothing for boys! you go to the local walmart and target and they have all kinds of tutus for girls why not have some dance clothes for boys!  :(

tntmomof2
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM
I don't have a preschooler but another member asked me to join and help you out. My ds has been dancing since he was 2. He started competing at 5. He's now 12 (tomorrow!!) so I have plenty of experience with this lol. He has always been the only boy in his studio which actually has a lot of pros! For class he either wears straight leg girls jazz pants in black or black basketball shorts a size or 2 too small so that its above his knees. Its important for the shorts to be above the knees so that the teacher can properly see his lines and knee position. Improper knee positioning can lead to major knee problems later on. 90% of the time he wears the shorts since it gets hot in pants. For a top he wears wifebeaters. They're better than Tshirts because again it helps the teacher see his lines. For recital and competition he usually wears dress pants or tuxedo pants. If you ever have any questions please don't hesitate to PM me. I've been a dance mom since my 18 year old was 4 :)
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:44 AM
You will have to go to a dance supply store. Can his studio provide you with one near by? For us the closest is about 40min. N if they don't have it then they should be able to order. Hope you can get what you need....

Quoting KLmomof2:

well considering he is the first boy at the studio no, he doesnt really have a "uniform" yet, but he has a recital coming up and i am looking for black dance pants for boys so it can go with his "costume" top

also it seems as if the smallest they have is 5. Its a shame that they cant come up with more dance clothing for boys! you go to the local walmart and target and they have all kinds of tutus for girls why not have some dance clothes for boys!  :(

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM
The boys at our studio are just told to wear comfortable clothes, they usually just have white shirts and cotton pants on. Do they make boy leggings? Maybe those would be comfy for him? I think the boys wear hanes cotton pants in our studio
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KLmomof2
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Thanks, i appreciate the information! So basically if there are girls jazz pants that are 3t somewhere out there i should get them and those will look fine?

Quoting tntmomof2:

I don't have a preschooler but another member asked me to join and help you out. My ds has been dancing since he was 2. He started competing at 5. He's now 12 (tomorrow!!) so I have plenty of experience with this lol. He has always been the only boy in his studio which actually has a lot of pros! For class he either wears straight leg girls jazz pants in black or black basketball shorts a size or 2 too small so that its above his knees. Its important for the shorts to be above the knees so that the teacher can properly see his lines and knee position. Improper knee positioning can lead to major knee problems later on. 90% of the time he wears the shorts since it gets hot in pants. For a top he wears wifebeaters. They're better than Tshirts because again it helps the teacher see his lines. For recital and competition he usually wears dress pants or tuxedo pants. If you ever have any questions please don't hesitate to PM me. I've been a dance mom since my 18 year old was 4 :)

tntmomof2
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Yup. DS prefers the straight leg. He thinks the bell bottom ones look girly but he wore the bell bottom ones his first 4 years of dance.

I hope your DS loves it!! Dance is so much fun and being the only boy really pays off when they're older. Today during a break at dance DS had 4 girls tackling and wresting with him. Lol

Quoting KLmomof2:

Thanks, i appreciate the information! So basically if there are girls jazz pants that are 3t somewhere out there i should get them and those will look fine?

Quoting tntmomof2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)