Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Worried about preschooler starting school?

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:57 PM
  • 2 Replies

I'm a stay-at-home. I have a 2 1/2 year old that's SO glued to my side. He does go outside and play with other kids in the evening or late afternoon, rather but other than that he stays with me.  My husband and I share a vehicle for now so I'm pretty limited to where I go. I'm wondering if I'm causing future problems for my child when he starts school? Nevermind ME being an absolute wreck when we start. I did try a Mother's Day Out program but money became tight so we made some cut-backs :-/

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:28 PM
He most certainly may have some adjustment issues but nothing that cant be overcome. I would just spend this time working on having him do activities alone. I saw a technique on an old Supernanny where you would settle him down with some sort of activity (like coloring or building blocks). Begin the play with him but then say "Mommy needs to start some laundry, ill be back in _____ mins." Hopefully he'll be focused enough to continue alone. Go back within the time you said, praise for good playing alone and then ask to resume play with him.

You didn't specifically say he wont play alone so I was assuming. If this isn't an issue then I would find some ways to separate for short periods of time, show him you come back, etc.

GL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Graceblake
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Really really REALLY great advice. Thank you. You're right, he doesn't even like me to leave the ROOM. however, he plays well outside with others.

Again, great advice, thank you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)