Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Help! 2yo daughter has pica, getting worse

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM
  • 2 Replies

Hello everyone,

My 2yo (25 months) daughter has had pica (mostly eating organic nonfood items) for the better part of the past year.  She has been tested for nutritional deficiency, and is fine there...  The pediatrician seemed to believe it wasn't problematic as she is under 3, and hasn't offered any treatment advice just yet as she thinks my daughter will simply outgrow it.  It seems to be behavioral -- she tends to do it mostly at daycare when she sees that no one is watching her to gain attention.  When she is watched, it generally disappears.  It seems to be getting worse, however, and she is now eating soil, etc., as opposed to soap or Play Doh, which was the norm for her.

Her daycare teachers think differently from the pediatrician, and believe she has impulse control problems, or some sort of sensory disorder that she needs to be tested for as her behavior is not normal and that we should consider getting some occupational therapy for her in the hopes that might help.  Anyone in this boat who could offer some advice?  She is extremely advanced verbally, very normally socially active for her age, and otherwise very normal with her other developmental milestones. 

However, I am now very worried that she has some sort of developmental disorder, and that she will have increasing impulse control problems.  Or am I worrying too soon about this???!!  Thanks so much for your help!!!

MMW

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mem82
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I don't think that I would worry but it wouldn't hurt to contact a child psychologist. I also wouldn't worry about what anyone thought unless they have a degree in a medical field. 8)

MMW1995
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Thanks! We have a follow-up with the pediatrician tomorrow, so we'll ask then...they've been pretty dismissive thus far, but she's now eating fertilized soil from the flowerpots at daycare, and that is very worrying...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN