Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Santa or no Santa?

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:04 AM
  • 115 Replies

Do you teach your children to believe in Santa? Why or why not?

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:12 AM
9 moms liked this
Absolutely!! Its just part of the magic of the holidays, IMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DezzesMom
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:23 AM
5 moms liked this

I do not feel that I encourage my daughter to believe in Santa but I do not stop her from believing and as long as she does believe Santa will be bringing gifts to my house. However, I have and will continue to explain to her the significance of what the holiday is supposed to represent. If you research Santa clause you would find that he was actually a good guy giving to the needy in the name of Jesus; so why cant it be a celebration for giving to others out of love because Jesus desires us to love one another. I believed Santa was real as a child. My mom went all out after we went to bed Christmas eve and put out the gifts as if Santa had brought them. It was exciting to be able to believe in such magic even if for only a night. I want my daughter to be able to experience that awe too.

MaineMammax2
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this

With our oldest daughter now almost 7 we did not teach her about Santa directly. I didn't want to lie her. We did watch Christmas movies though. When she started preschool it didn't matter if we told her about Santa all the other kids believed and told her all about it.  The decision was made for us.  Unless we wanted to tell her all that stuff was a lie and ruin it for her we just left it as it was. Now our 2 yr old already believes because her sister has told her all about it. When they really want to know we will tell them parents carry out the tradition in Santa's name to carry on the holiday spirit of long ago.

RobynS
by Robyn on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM
5 moms liked this

Yep, because I believe in Santa. I believe the spirit of "Santa" is alive and well! :) I so enjoyed the "magic" as a child, so I want to share that with my kids.

maria1613
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM
2 moms liked this
We are teaching her about Santa
sjump25
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Yep.  It's fun.  It's part of the magic of Christmas.  I grew up believing in Santa and I want my kids to experience it.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep. It's fun!

I wouldn't want my kids to feel like they missed out on Santa & the magic of Christmas.....we aren't religious or anything but still do Christmas
.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

guess i'm the odd one out. i don't teach my kids about santa. They know about him because of cartoons and what not, and my son likes to say he is real, but he knows he's not. I didn't grow up thinking santa was real though, I had 4 older brothers who ruined that as soon as they could. lol. and my DH didn't celebrate christmas so it's just not something we ever thought to start.

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I don't. My parents did the Santa thing and for me it was no big deal when I found out. When my brother was little (he is 10 years younger than I am) he believed in Santa until he was 11 or 12 and when it looked like he was going to be going off to Jr High still believing in Santa (and possibly getting made fun of for it)  my parents decided to tell him. He had such a horrible reaction to it, refused to speak to my parents for a period of time afterward, told them they had lied to him and he couldn't trust them anymore, told them they had ruined Christmas for him, and for the next few years he refused to participate in Christmas. He said it would never be the same. It made my parents feel awful, they felt they had damaged him and I tend to agree. Now, not every kid will react that way, I didn't, but I would feel like the lowest of the low if my DD reacted like that when she found out, because it was something I had chosen to do to her and I didn't have to. So that's why I can't bring myself to do it. We still read the Night Before Christmas book, read stories about Santa and the reindeer, have Santa ornaments and things we don't cut him out of the holiday, but we stop short at actually telling her that Santa is a real guy who will be coming to our house. Edited because I found a HUGE spelling mistake, lol. ;)

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:45 PM

No we do not do Santa in our home. My husband tries but my doubt always shows through so my kids never really believe in it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)