Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever had these issues with your four year old??

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM
  • 14 Replies

My daughter has been potty trained for over a year and in the last month and a half she suddenly is wetting her pants all the time again.  It is a battle to get her to go potty by herself suddenly, unless it's number 2.  I've even taken her to the doctor because I thought she might have a UTI, but she didn't.  We have a six month old son as well, so trying to take care of a baby and changing my DD constanly got old, so I have her in panties with night diapers on most of the day now.  She's still not night trained, so I had the pants.  

In addition she has been waking up from nightmares and won't go back to sleep for hours. She's been doing this kind of thing since she was a infant, just wake up and stay awake forever!  Even after you lay with her or she comes to bed with us (because she's scared) she still doesn't settle down and go to sleep, she sits up numerous times and figets.  I am so tired today, she did that last night and my six month was awake every two hours eating (can't get him to sleep much longer than that suddenly).  

My DH sleeps in another room because he works often and is going to school part time, so he needs rest.  Right after our DS was born he would have to sleep with our DD, but she got over it and started sleeping alone, she just now has occasional wake up spells (about one a week suddenly).  

Any ideas why my dd is peeing her pants and so restless?  

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM
2 moms liked this

My guess is that she is regressing due to you having another baby. It's most common for kids to regress with a new baby when they are 3-4 yrs old. Did this happen once your son was born, or more recently?

mem82
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Are you making her clean up the mess? I would make her do all the work and don't talk to her or give her any attention when she does it. Just hand her the stuff to clean with and stay as disengaged with the process as possible.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM

She almost definitely is regressing because of the baby.  It's a way for her to get attention like the baby gets attention.  Chances are, things stop for him when he needs a diaper change so, similarly, she's found a way to get things to stop for her.  I would not do the night diapers over the underwear.  I would sit her down and explain that she's going to have to clean up her messes and change herself from now on.  You will not help her.  Things may get worse at first because she'll try extra hard for that attention but if she sees that's not the way then it'll stop.  Cleaning up pee is no fun :)

Do you make a point of getting lots of one-on-one with her?  Either special things while your baby naps or taking her out on the weekends when your hubby is home to stay with the baby?

I'm not sure about the sleeping.  My kids have always slept.  Hopefully someone else has advice on that one.  GL!!!

huckleberry11
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with these moms. I've heard 10-20% of five-year-olds may still have problems with bed-wetting. If she is regressing because of the new addition to your family, it might help for you to reintroduce the potty training  techniques you used before. Here are a few other ideas: 

· Encourage her to drink during the day and discourage drinking within 2 hours of her bedtime.  If she wants a drink before bed, just give her a sip or two to quench her thirst.

· Have her use the toilet right before bed.

· To a degree that is appropriate for her age, let her participate in the cleanup process. - not as punishment but as a matter-of-fact routine :)

· Offer praise when she has a dry night or gets up to use the toilet. 

· Avoid expressing dissatisfaction, dismay, or anger when she is wet in the morning.

I'm sure you're tired with so much going on. It's hard not to let your frustration and anxiety show. I hope you find strength with each new day, dearest.

lemleyfam13
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:03 PM
sd did this when her mom moved in with her BF she was 4 never had accidents until that happened it could be stress maybe new baby try getting some time just you and her no baby during the week sd stopped the peeing thing after we worked through her stress issue we got some individual time together and scheduled her some alone time with her gma she is very close to it worked
.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM

hope you get it figured out.

aym1486
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this
My 4 year kid has been wetting the bed a lot lately and I did the same, had her checked for a UTI but nothing. I just had a baby 2 months ago. I never thought it might have to do with the new addition to the family until I read this. I know this wasn't my post, but it helped me out as well, maybe I can address the issue from a new perspective, and try to get more one on one with her. Thanks ladies!
Night_Roane
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:32 PM
My 5yr old never once acted jealous or clingy with the new baby, but she suddenly started wetting the bed and having night terrors. Luckily, it was short-lived. I never let her lay with us when she had nightmares. I told her it was just a dream and we could sing a song or say a prayer, but it was over now. I needed some sleep, too!

As far as the baby not sleeping - have you tried pacifiers, swaddling, infant swing or other sleep positions? My DD#2 wakes up before the sun most mornings, but if I swaddle her, lay her on her tummy, and give her a paci she sleeps several more hours.
VTdirtRd
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM
My Dd did the exact same thing. She even stopped enunciating clearly when he started to babble. Dr said its natural jealously, which is what i thought too. Good luck!!
mskeeinmd
by Tikeetha on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Could be regression because of the new baby.  Did you talk to the pedi?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)