Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

anyone have experience with RSV

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:30 PM
  • 14 Replies
anyone have experience with RSV.. My 4yo was diagnosed with double ear infection and RSV he's on breathing treatments and augmentin antibiotic.
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM
No but my oldest has asthma & we do treatments often. We use TV or the iPad to get him to sit through them. Good luck, I hope he feels better soon!
Jenningsmommy
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Thank you he isn't very interested in doin it but the neb is shaped like a penguin and he gets to watch cartoons so he deals with it ok

Quoting collinsmommy0: No but my oldest has asthma & we do treatments often. We use TV or the iPad to get him to sit through them. Good luck, I hope he feels better soon!
victoriaherring
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM

My DD had RSV when she was around 4 months old. We still keep the breathing machine and have to use it every year. It was pretty easy for us. DD is such a happy kid and even when she is deathly sick she is bouncing around happy. We just gave her the meds and she got better. The hardest part is entertaining her while the machine is on. The past couple of years it has scared her because of the loud noise. Our newborn cousin has it now though and has been in the hospital for a couple of weeks. Its so sad. After going through it with DD I didn't think it was so bad. He is hopefully coming home tomorrow though :)

MommyofRnW
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM
My youngest had rsv it caused pneumonia and a collapsed lung. He has other things going in too and he was two at the time. We were addmited to the hospital for it. Lots of mucus! He has a puffer and spacer works better for him. Hope yours feels better soon!
huskermom98
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM

My oldest (8 now) had a pretty mild case when he was 14mo--it was hard to get him to do the neb. treatment, but we finally got him to hug a stuffed Curious George and it soon became his favorite!  We had to do the neb. treatments a few more times over the next couple of years, usually when he had a cold.  But the last time we had to do it was the day before he started preschool.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Yeah when he resists I remind him that it will make him feel better. He also doesn't get the iPad much so it's like a treat - there's a lot of good apps made for toddlers that are free or .99

Quoting Jenningsmommy: Thank you he isn't very interested in doin it but the neb is shaped like a penguin and he gets to watch cartoons so he deals with it ok

Quoting collinsmommy0: No but my oldest has asthma & we do treatments often. We use TV or the iPad to get him to sit through them. Good luck, I hope he feels better soon!
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:47 AM

DS got RSV when he was about 5 months old.  Per our pedi, on average, it takes about 21 days for the symptoms to clear up.  Children with RSV are also at a higher risk of developing childhood asthma.  RSV wreaked havoc on DS for quite a while.  He's been a chronic wheezer since getting it and for the first 2 years, every environmental allergen aggravated his breathing. Last winter, we seemed to have turned the corner, but his still relies on the nevulizer and Flovent when he gets a cold or allergies. 

We used to battle with the breathing treatments when he was baby, but now he's 3 and can set up the nebulizer by himself minus opening the albuterol.  He knows it makes him feel better. When he was around 1, I would sit and hold him and read books and watch cartoons.  Now, he watches cartoons and plays on the iPad.  We will also make funny noises based on the mask he's wearing.  (We have on that looks like a dragon and one that looks like an elephant)

Jenningsmommy
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:50 AM
21 days!

Quoting iansmommy9:

DS got RSV when he was about 5 months old.  Per our pedi, on average, it takes about 21 days for the symptoms to clear up.  Children with RSV are also at a higher risk of developing childhood asthma.  RSV wreaked havoc on DS for quite a while.  He's been a chronic wheezer since getting it and for the first 2 years, every environmental allergen aggravated his breathing. Last winter, we seemed to have turned the corner, but his still relies on the nevulizer and Flovent when he gets a cold or allergies. 

We used to battle with the breathing treatments when he was baby, but now he's 3 and can set up the nebulizer by himself minus opening the albuterol.  He knows it makes him feel better. When he was around 1, I would sit and hold him and read books and watch cartoons.  Now, he watches cartoons and plays on the iPad.  We will also make funny noises based on the mask he's wearing.  (We have on that looks like a dragon and one that looks like an elephant)

mem82
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Oh no! I hope he feels better!
mem82
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Poor kiddos!

Quoting iansmommy9:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)