Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Listing your child's age in mos vs. yrs

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM
  • 37 Replies

So, I just came from a heated discussion regarding listing your kid's age in months vs. years. There appear to be a lot of moms who appear to have a stroke when they hear someone say a child is 24 months instead of 2. There was a mom discussing potty training and she described her kid as being "24 months". 

To me...unless it's like "My kid is 157 months old..." I think you can probably let it slide. Really, what is the difference? When you're discussing developmental stages, there is a big difference between a kid who is just this month turning 2years old and a kid who is almost 3 and it's easier to say "She's 26 mos" and saying "She turned 2 two months ago". So I think there's a relevance in listing the number of months a child is.

I've noticed many moms vehemently defending that past one year of age (some do two years), you should only ever use years and if you say your kid's age in months you are an evil evil person who must be stopped. One mom even said "You say she's 24 months like she's some kind of object" Which...I find funny on a number of levels, including the assumption that people describe inaminate objects on the basis of how many months old they are. ("Please, make yourself at home! Have a seat on my 24 month old sofa" lol)

So, it's probably pretty clear how I feel about the whole thing, what are your thoughts?

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maria1613
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Hahaha your post made me laugh. In response to ot, i did months until DD was 1 then said she was 1, 2... etc, btw, she's now 3
momofsunshine77
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I stopped using months at 2, but I agree there is a HUGE difference between a 2 year old and almost 3.  I use half years.  My oldest is 4 1/2 and my youngest is 3. 

I could care less what someone else uses.  But I will not count out the months for them if they ask me in months. 

we-r-up-to-4
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:36 AM
I usually say she's 18 months so a year and a half
PAmommy32
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM
3 moms liked this

I flip flop between the two depending on whether I think the specific age of the child would be relevant.  If a stranger in a restaurant says "oh, she's cute, how old is she?" I would probably say she is 2.  If another parent and I are discussing development of our children I would probably list in months, as you said, months make a difference.  I never really thought of it much until now and I would certainly not critizie someone for using one aging method over the other.  What a trivial thing for someone to argue about. 

sophiesmom07
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Lol, doesn't bother me.  I stopped using months after 12, but I am fine with it either way. 

conejoazul
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:13 PM
If the mom wants to count her baby's age in years, months, days or breaths, it doesn't matter to me. Math is math, and the more precise, the better. Life is so precious, why try to descibe it in the smallest possible number?
newwifenmom
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I rarely use months unless talking about breastfeeding or potty training. He's 2.5 now. I don't care what others do.

momma2b2008
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:05 PM
I stopped using months when they turned 2.
maxswolfsuit
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I don't see why it's a big deal. But I tend to go one years and half years. 

I don't see how 17 months is all that different from 18 months. But I could care less what people say. 

I can do the math in my head to convert it. LOL

maxswolfsuit
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Quoting PAmommy32:

I flip flop between the two depending on whether I think the specific age of the child would be relevant.  If a stranger in a restaurant says "oh, she's cute, how old is she?" I would probably say she is 2.  If another parent and I are discussing development of our children I would probably list in months, as you said, months make a difference.  I never really thought of it much until now and I would certainly not critizie someone for using one aging method over the other.  What a trivial thing for someone to argue about. 

I agree with all of this. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)