Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty-what is next?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:53 PM
  • 6 Replies
He'll be 3 in one month and has been wearing underpants for a month and a half. Still doesn't tell us when he has to go but willingly uses toilet for #1. Uses a diaper for #2 then is put back in underwear.(because he was holding it in and wouldn't go on potty for #2) What's the next step? When also do we start to bring him to the toilet in middle of the night? Thanks PIOG
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mammabear413
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this
So my son held it for three for days and finally went. I out his little potty where we
Couldn't see him he doesn't Ike us in the room. And for night time I never wake him he either wakes in his own or waits in the morning all kids are diff. It's also been 1.5 and we do no pull ups at all he's 2.5
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

so if he doesn't tell you, will he take himself or do you have to remember to take him regularly?

the poop thing is common, i wouldn't worry about that for now.  he's new to this so give him time and just keep doing what you are doing.  constipation will only set you back.

i've trained 2 kids and have NEVER taken them potty in the middle of the night!  staying dry at night is a matter of maturity, not training.  because neither of us have control over it, i wasn't ever willing to interrupt anyone's sleep over it.  once he's waking up dry consistently, he will also be able to hold it or wake himself up to go.  many times day training and night training happen independently so, right now, focus on getting him day trained and worry about night stuff later.

iansmommy9
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Going #1 in the potty is much easier than #2.  Very common for them not to feel comfortable with it.

When we went to undies, we never looked back or used diapers except at bedtime. He would do #2 in his undies and we made up incredible storeis about how the charectars on his undeis were sad that he'd pooped on them and asked if he wanted to make them happy. When he replied yes, I'd tell him the way to make them happy was to tell mommy or daddy when he needed to go potty. 

We never woke him in the night to go potty. We put a diaper on him so he wouldn't wet the bed. Within a month or so, he cried about wearing the diaper and we let him sleep in undies. He's only had a few accidents in the course of 14 months. I know that's the exception to the rule.

sarahfaith123
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:38 AM
Thank you. I have no idea where I got the waking him up thing bc everyone here is saying you shouldn't

Quoting mammabear413: So my son held it for three for days and finally went. I out his little potty where we

Couldn't see him he doesn't Ike us in the room. And for night time I never wake him he either wakes in his own or waits in the morning all kids are diff. It's also been 1.5 and we do no pull ups at all he's 2.5
sarahfaith123
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:38 AM
Thanks. Good to know!

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

so if he doesn't tell you, will he take himself or do you have to remember to take him regularly?

the poop thing is common, i wouldn't worry about that for now.  he's new to this so give him time and just keep doing what you are doing.  constipation will only set you back.

i've trained 2 kids and have NEVER taken them potty in the middle of the night!  staying dry at night is a matter of maturity, not training.  because neither of us have control over it, i wasn't ever willing to interrupt anyone's sleep over it.  once he's waking up dry consistently, he will also be able to hold it or wake himself up to go.  many times day training and night training happen independently so, right now, focus on getting him day trained and worry about night stuff later.

sarahfaith123
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:46 AM
Thank you very much

Quoting iansmommy9:

Going #1 in the potty is much easier than #2.  Very common for them not to feel comfortable with it.

When we went to undies, we never looked back or used diapers except at bedtime. He would do #2 in his undies and we made up incredible storeis about how the charectars on his undeis were sad that he'd pooped on them and asked if he wanted to make them happy. When he replied yes, I'd tell him the way to make them happy was to tell mommy or daddy when he needed to go potty. 

We never woke him in the night to go potty. We put a diaper on him so he wouldn't wet the bed. Within a month or so, he cried about wearing the diaper and we let him sleep in undies. He's only had a few accidents in the course of 14 months. I know that's the exception to the rule.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)