Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Random separation anxiety..

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:52 PM
  • 5 Replies

I am kind of a bitchy mom when it comes to seperation issues.  I don't have a lot of patience or tools in the toolbox to deal with it.  

Both of my girls are in dance once a week and they have loved it since September.  The class continues through June.  My youngest (2.75 year old) has suddenly had separation anxiety for the past few classes.  I hate to pull her out since we've invested so much time but she is becoming a PITA in the class and the instructors are having to give her constant attention.  She normally does great in classroom settings.  Any advice on how to get her to get back with the program?

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
roxxirain
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM

My daughter just turned 3 in october and recently ive been having the same issue. Unfortunately idk if its and age thing since she is my first and only child or if maybe something is going on as school thats making her want to be more attached? Has maybe something changed recently like possibly out of routine?

2Gs
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:22 PM
she did lose her grandma but I am not sure if she is really processing it or not. This started happening when grandma was sick.

Quoting roxxirain:

My daughter just turned 3 in october and recently ive been having the same issue. Unfortunately idk if its and age thing since she is my first and only child or if maybe something is going on as school thats making her want to be more attached? Has maybe something changed recently like possibly out of routine?

roxxirain
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:31 PM

That could be why,  even though they are pretty young they are much smarter than we give them credit for. She may not understand the details of the situation but she may still sense a change in atmosphere. Regardless, i am sure with some time and some comforting you will be able to ease her back into looking forward to her dance classes.  

iansmommy9
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:17 PM

We had similar issues with DS in gymnastics when he turned 3. It got so bad that we just had finish a billing period and pull him out. He'd been in gymnastics since 18 months and I figured he just needed a break. We pulled him out and let him try another sport. I figure he'll go back to it eventually, but I just couldn't force him to do something he didn't want to do any longer.

maxswolfsuit
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I think all kids go through this on and off over the years. 

I found that the quicker the drop off is the easier it is for the child. The more the mother lingers and tries to comfort the child, the longer it takes to child to transition to being away from mom. 

I wouldn't make a big deal of it, just tell her it's time for dance and you will have a great time. If she gets upset just go and get out of her sight. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)