Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homemade Pretzels

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:52 PM
  • 11 Replies

Has anyone made soft pretzels before?

I am making my first batch right now. Any tips?

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups warm (110 to 115 degrees F) water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 package active dry yeast
22 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 4 1/2 cups
2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
Vegetable oil, for pan
10 cups water
2/3 cup baking soda
1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Pretzel salt
Directions
Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam. Add the flour and butter and, using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the dough from the bowl, clean the bowl and then oil it well with vegetable oil. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and sit in a warm place for approximately 50 to 55 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 half-sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush with the vegetable oil. Set aside.

Bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in an 8-quart saucepan or roasting pan.

In the meantime, turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 24-inch rope. Make a U-shape with the rope, holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel. Place onto the parchment-lined half sheet pan.

Place the pretzels into the boiling water, 1 by 1, for 30 seconds. Remove them from the water using a large flat spatula. Return to the half sheet pan, brush the top of each pretzel with the beaten egg yolk and water mixture and sprinkle with the pretzel salt. Bake until dark golden brown in color, approximately 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-soft-pretzels-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

RKL10
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:53 PM
No I have not but I can come taste test haha I love soft pretzels :)
maxswolfsuit
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I'm a little worried about the dough rising because the house is cold right now. 

I preheated my table top convection oven to warm then turned it off and put it in there to rise. 

maxswolfsuit
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Quoting RKL10: No I have not but I can come taste test haha I love soft pretzels :)

Sure come on over! 

My husband loves them. Anywhere we go he has to get one. Most of the time they are just the frozen ones. So these will be a nice treat if it works. 

RKL10
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:00 PM
I grew up in Wisconsin so I'll bring a good cheese dipping sauce not the nasty ones :)

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting RKL10: No I have not but I can come taste test haha I love soft pretzels :)

Sure come on over! 

My husband loves them. Anywhere we go he has to get one. Most of the time they are just the frozen ones. So these will be a nice treat if it works. 

maxswolfsuit
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Yummmmmyyyy

I am going to make cheddar beer cheese if the pretzels turned out good. But I want to wait to make sure. Other wise I will end up eating cheese sauce with a spoon. 

Quoting RKL10: I grew up in Wisconsin so I'll bring a good cheese dipping sauce not the nasty ones :)

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Sure come on over! 

RKL10
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:33 PM
There is no shame in eating cheese sauce with a spoon haha

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Sure come on over! 

maxswolfsuit
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:35 PM

No shame, but not the healthiest option :(

No better way to ruin that new year's resolution though!

Quoting RKL10: There is no shame in eating cheese sauce with a spoon haha

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Sure come on over! 

RKL10
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Well it's not the new year yet haha

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

No shame, but not the healthiest option :(

No better way to ruin that new year's resolution though!

Quoting RKL10: There is no shame in eating cheese sauce with a spoon haha

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Sure come on over! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)