Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM
  • 32 Replies
I just want to know if anyone homeschools your child(ren) and what was your reason for deciding to do so? The only thing that has me in the public school corner is the social pros. On the other hand it's also the only con I have for homeschooling. Public has lots of cons in my book.

Just a little background-my son tried preK out at this super snooty elementary school and the teacher and principal there were clueless as to how to help my child learn social cues (he is an only child at home with me all day), and I couldn't do their job from home. I felt like he was being overloaded and the problem was being swept under the rug by the staff. All I ever heard was "I have 20-something other kids to worry about". I feel like they didn't want to take the time to address the issue and hit the nail on the head so to speak. They had taped a square on the floor off all by himself and I felt I needed to pull him out so we are waiting til kindergarten starts in 2014 and I've been working on him at home. I feel like I have failed my child in a way. Just need some HELPFUL advice, he's not a spoiled brat or a bad kid, just not used to sharing attention with 20+ other kids.
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this
We homeschool and love it! There really is no social issue. With the rate homeschooling is growing, homeschooled kids have more social opportunities than public school kids. The only thing is, when they are young it is up to the parents to make sure the kids get those opportunities.
I have an 8 year old DD in the third grade, and 5 year old DS in kindergarten. We plan to homeschool through high school.
Lindzlou91
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM
How expensive is it? I'm a SAHM anyway so it wouldn't be an issue with my schedule or anything but I keep getting hell from my family about him NEEDING to be in public school. I'm trying not to let their opinions change my views on it though.

Quoting RheaF: We homeschool and love it! There really is no social issue. With the rate homeschooling is growing, homeschooled kids have more social opportunities than public school kids. The only thing is, when they are young it is up to the parents to make sure the kids get those opportunities.

I have an 8 year old DD in the third grade, and 5 year old DS in kindergarten. We plan to homeschool through high school.
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM
I homeschool. For me I always knew I wanted to be the one teaching my kids. I love that they can learn at their own pace. I love spending the day with them. I love watching them grow and learn. We are able to take field trips and learn so much! This year our school year started with a 5 day field trip where we learned about volcanoes. Then we came home for 3 days and went for another 5 days to learn about the ocean.
School takes about 3-4 hours/day including a foreign language and guitar giving us more time to be involved with extracurriculars than kids in school 6 hours plus homework. We have no lack of social activities. Ds (6) is in hip hop, a bike riding playdate, awana, 4-h, and if we make it a homeschoolers playdate at the park.
Dd (3) is in dance, speech, awana, and the bike riding playdate plus the park when we make it.
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Oh and we use a charter homeschool. We have $800/semester per student (starting at kindergarten) to use on books, supplies, extracurriculars, etc. Last year we used a different charter homeschool where we checked out curriculums at the library and they offered workshops. They had holiday parties and such too which was nice.
Lindzlou91
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:23 AM
That seems like so much money to me lol I don't think we could afford that at all.

Quoting JasonsMom2007: Oh and we use a charter homeschool. We have $800/semester per student (starting at kindergarten) to use on books, supplies, extracurriculars, etc. Last year we used a different charter homeschool where we checked out curriculums at the library and they offered workshops. They had holiday parties and such too which was nice.
RheaF
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM
It depends on what you use. We use. A Beka for the core subjects(language arts, and math), BJU press for history, and Apologia for science. I spend about $800ish a year on curriculum. I also get a lot of extras from the Internet.

There are used curriculum sites out there. I would advise finding some local homeschooling groups and get connected. The co-op we attend once a week has a library. I actually get some of the curriculum from them for free.

Quoting Lindzlou91: How expensive is it? I'm a SAHM anyway so it wouldn't be an issue with my schedule or anything but I keep getting hell from my family about him NEEDING to be in public school. I'm trying not to let their opinions change my views on it though.

Quoting RheaF: We homeschool and love it! There really is no social issue. With the rate homeschooling is growing, homeschooled kids have more social opportunities than public school kids. The only thing is, when they are young it is up to the parents to make sure the kids get those opportunities.

Lindzlou91
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:27 AM
That sounds way more affordable for our family, thanks for the info!

Quoting RheaF: It depends on what you use. We use. A Beka for the core subjects(language arts, and math), BJU press for history, and Apologia for science. I spend about $800ish a year on curriculum. I also get a lot of extras from the Internet.

There are used curriculum sites out there. I would advise finding some local homeschooling groups and get connected. The co-op we attend once a week has a library. I actually get some of the curriculum from them for free.

Quoting Lindzlou91: How expensive is it? I'm a SAHM anyway so it wouldn't be an issue with my schedule or anything but I keep getting hell from my family about him NEEDING to be in public school. I'm trying not to let their opinions change my views on it though.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this
It doesn't cost that much. It costs as much as you make it cost. That's what the school gives us to spend. If you buy used especially if you find homeschool swaps in your area and use the internet you can get away really cheap. The library is a great resource as well. You can really get away with not buying anything.

Quoting Lindzlou91: That seems like so much money to me lol I don't think we could afford that at all.

Quoting JasonsMom2007: Oh and we use a charter homeschool. We have $800/semester per student (starting at kindergarten) to use on books, supplies, extracurriculars, etc. Last year we used a different charter homeschool where we checked out curriculums at the library and they offered workshops. They had holiday parties and such too which was nice.
RheaF
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Also, there are tons of options. I buy our curriculum at tax time. We have been homeschooling for about five years now, so we know what works for us. Check out the Happy Homeschoolers group on here too. They can get you links to all the different publishers. Some are crazy expensive, and done are really affordable.
debramommyof4
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I homeschool and while I have 4 my oldest has had to learn social cues. I put her in public kindergarten because I thought that was the path for us. I figured she would learn how to behave socially and they had said they had worked with advanced children, which she is.

She did not make friends. She had worse social skills than when she started, still trying to figure out how that was possible. And to top it off she was bored.

We moved and I decided to homeschool the rest of the year and then she would go back to a different public school.

We had a conversation that broke my heart. She told me public school was where parents send kids to get a break. We never went back.

For social skills we go to church. I have conversations with her and we role play. We recently found a Co-op and playgroup on meet up for our area so at least once a week if not more we take time to go interact with others.

It has been two years since we started homeschooling and she has several friends!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)