Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tips for managing two under 2

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 2:12 PM
  • 15 Replies

I'm a SAHM due with baby #2 at the end of next month and DS will be almost 2 when the baby comes. DH will be working pretty much nonstop with 12 hour shifts every night with just a one day break in between for two whole months. So basically, I'm going to be caring for a toddler and a newborn completely on my own. I have no family or friends nearby so I can't get help from them. I'm worried about how stressful it's going to be and about how I'm going to handle two young children while trying to keep up with housework. What are some tips for managing two under two?

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't over think it and don't try to be superwomen.
My first 2 children are 19 months apart.

My suggestion is to consider baby wearing. Having things like a swing bouncer etc.. are great because your going to have your hands full.

If you have a Crockpot use it it can be a lifesaver.

Make places like Amazon that deliver pampers wipes your friend taking 2 babies to the store is not easy.

Expect sibling rivalry you oldest is to little to understand

Good luck
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with babywearing

My older son was 2 years 3 months when his brother was born & we have a similar situation - no family around & DH works a lot.

I don't cook for DH really anymore. He grills a bunch of meat on Sundays or Tuesdays & then we make fajitas or tacos wth that meat the rest of the week. Or we do simple meals - sausages, hot dogs, baked chicken, etc. I don't worry about making 'dinner', my toddler & I eat whatever we can find in the house. DH gets home late & makes his own dinner....& cooks dinner on Saturday night as our 'family dinner'

Stuff doesn't get done & that's fine. We hired cleaning people to come in & do the bathrooms & kitchen twice a month & that's been the only reason my house is clean.

Honestly the transition wasn't bad for us, just realize you get nothing done and that's okay (like I've had the bassinet in the office ready to sell for a month....I haven't had 10 minutes to post it on craigSlist yet)
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Baby wear and DON'T COMPARE. If baby #1 slept thru the night from day 1 don't stress when baby #2 doesn't.
My friend did not baby wear and always compared her 2 that are 14 mos apart. She was frazzled a lot. Learn from her mistakes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnunley
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Mine are 18mo apart. It's hard at first but it does get better! I also don't have any family nearby and all my friends work full time. In my experience, just take it day by day. There will be some jealousy issues, which is normal. Try to include them as much as possible and try not to use the newborn as a reason that you are too busy for the older sibling. Even though my dh worked a lot, I fully expected him to help when he was home. Parenting is a 50/50 job. I wouldn't worry about the housework until you all have a good routine going. I was happy knowing the kids were clean, dry, fed and happy! I got lucky and my two ended up taking nap Time at the same time, which meant I slept too! Otherwise, I got exhausted! And a carrier is a must! I have both a moby and an ergo. Good luck!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Lovemyangels88
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Just always remember that housework can wait.  My two kids are 20 months apart and I did it all by myself so it is definitly possible!  Im sure it will get overwhelming and it did for me, but little things like baby wearing definitly helps when you need to get stuff done.  Im sure you will do great and i wish you the best of luck and congrats!

Butterfly_xo
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm in the same boat. Dh works full time and I'm due with baby boy #2 in May. Ds will be 2 and 3 months when his little brother is born. I'm excited but also worried that it's going to be stressful some days....

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Buy a wrap for baby.
Try making croc pot meals. Wry little preparation and delicious.
beachlove512
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

It's nice to know someone else is in the same situation. I hope it all works out for the both of us. Best of luck to you!

Quoting Butterfly_xo:

I'm in the same boat. Dh works full time and I'm due with baby boy #2 in May. Ds will be 2 and 3 months when his little brother is born. I'm excited but also worried that it's going to be stressful some days....

awesomemommy2
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Housework will not wait and with that thought process you will quickly lose control. Use your time wisely. I had a newborn, 1 3/4 and a 3 3/4 and worked PT from home and kept up just fine.

I would start the day by literally throwing laundry in the moment I got out of bed. I used the crock pot for dinner (a lot) and often prepared things that could be a multi night meal. My dinner is usually done by 10 a.m.

For me getting a jump on things was huge. I also live by don't put off what you can do today. This will free you up for last minute play dates, trips to the park or those inevitable things that happen that can disrupt the whole day in an instant.
AviannasMama
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids are 16mo apart (dd is 2, ds is 9mo) and it def was a little rough at first. Once you get into a routine I think its a lot easier. Luckily I haven't hsd to deal w much jealousy, right away she adored her little brother and still does!!

Now that my son is a little older, after breakfast, the both play together in the play room while I do dishes and clean. Luckily my play room is right off my kitchen (it was supposed tp be a dining room) so I can keep an eye on them.

Like others said, baby wear! Give plenty of attention to your oldest. Usually when my son takes his am nap, me and dd will cuddle and play. Honestly, I feel like sometimes I don't give enough attentionto my younger one bc dd is 2 and is a ton of work!!!

First few weeks, maybe even months, may be tough, but every day really does get easier!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)