Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

What should she know

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 6:35 PM
  • 14 Replies

My daughter is 4 as of July.

She is having trouble identifying numbers, letters, etc

She also is not writing AT ALL.

I have only had her in my custody since march. She is in preschool but they are not reinforcing the things that i teach her at home. 

Is she behind....

I fear she is behind, teaching her is becoming so frustrating. I dont even know if im over doing it. I can honestly say that im scared that she is behind or something is wrong with her developmentally :( 

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marchantmom06
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 6:37 PM
She should know colors, shapes, letters, numbers, her name, she should start writing small things, letters, numbers ect. If she is behind then get her into a school that works for her. Preschool is actual schooling. Not like daycare. If they aren't teaching then move her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Smoochmommie
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 6:40 PM

The most confusing part is when i enrolled her for prek they told me she failed the exam in a good way. They said she failed the screening she was too advanced and "not at risk for failing kindergarten"...and then once she got in there she just gave up her will to learn..they dont do much of nothing in there..they get a new teacher monday and im praying something will change. I want to cry :(

Quoting marchantmom06: She should know colors, shapes, letters, numbers, her name, she should start writing small things, letters, numbers ect. If she is behind then get her into a school that works for her. Preschool is actual schooling. Not like daycare. If they aren't teaching then move her.

mammabear413
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:55 PM
Id say don't stress make it fun or she's gonna hate and no pressure . She should know the stuff the pp posted
OBImomma
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:07 PM
My 4yo (September bday) can count to 15 then skips a few numbers to get to 20 (lol). We are working on that. We count EVERYTHING. So she doesn't know she's working on learning. It's just fun.
She can sing her ABCs. She recognizes most of the letters. We started with the first letter in her name. Now we point out letters as we see them. Her favorite letter to find is H bc H is for Hannah!
She knows colors and shapes.

My ds, 6, goes to a Montessori school. And it is wonderful. The teachers work with each kid at their level. That might be a good fit for your dd. she would get 1 on 1 attention at her level.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:17 PM
2 moms liked this
She is NOT behind.8) Make playing educational and read to her every day. She is fine.Let her be a baby a bit longer because once she starts school,she loses that bit of childhood.
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:55 PM
If she's starting kindergarten in the fall, then I would start reinforcing letters, numbers, shapes, and colors. It's expected when entering kindergarten that they know all those things. Here they also expect them to know how to write some letters & numbers, be able to start to read words, etc.

I would be concerned about her preschool - if they aren't teaching anything, then I'd move her to a different one.

If you are doing a bunch with her at home and she is still not getting it, then I would be concerned - I would just continue to do more at home. Maybe pick 1 letter a week and 1 color or shape and do an activity a day on it (even if it's searching for the letter at the store or going for a walk & spotting a certain color on the walk)
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this

she isn't expected to be writing at this point.  most kids do know their basic shapes, colors, animals, etc. by 4 but there were kids in my son's public K class last year who BARELY knew all of their letters and knew ZERO phonics in Sept and were doing basic reading by June.  Kids in public K start out at all levels with usually the younger ones struggling a bit at first but it's amazing to see how far they grow in just 1 school year. 

I'm not one to say a 4 year old "should" know anything because I believe that they all have their strengths and weaknesses and most of them catch up by 2nd grade.  You can have a 4 year old that knows academics at the 2nd grade level but maturity, confidence and social skills are that of a 2 year old OR you can have a 4 year old who is struggling a bit academically but socially, confidence, maturity, etc. above age level.  Who's better/worse off?  It just is what it is.

However, if your preschool isn't teaching her anything, it's time for a new preschool.  BUT if your expectations are unrealistic then you need to sit down and have a gut check on that. 

I would sit down and speak with her teachers to see what they say about where she's at.  If that conversation leads you lacking in confidence then speak with her pediatrician.  There's also no harm in having her evaluated privately or thru the school district to see if there is any sort of delay.

blueforewolf
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 2:56 AM

there are lots of games that are for learning the basics - as far as writing - have her trace simple pictures and color them then move more and more to the alphabet with tracing  - make it a pleasurable and fun activity - do they still make alphabet soup? help her identify the letters as she scoops them up - you can use play doh to have her make letters and shapes and i.d. colors - can she sort colors, shapes, etc?  can she count out objects up to 10? is she able to do more of these things when she is interested and engaged? if so then she does have some of these concepts down.  preschool and believe it or not kindergarten are not mandatory in the U.S.  weird isn't it?  What things does she like to do?  many people miss the opportunities for a teaching moment because they don't see the potential in play...  let me know what she enjoys so I can give you some ideas.... it may just be a case of exposure to concepts - and if you're not satisfied with the preschool change 

teddysmama09
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 6:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't force it. Forcing someone to learn something will only frustrate them and impede their learning. Make learning fun ( not sitting in a chair over work books or flash cards). one thing I do with my son is play a game where he has to find a letter (say the letter A) while we're in the car. For every A he sees (on signs, stores etc) he gets a point. For ten points he gets a doughnut (or some other treat) when we go for a break.

Above all, just read to her and praise her for every minor accomplishment. Build her up for her strengths and make her feel confident

mskeeinmd
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Stop worrying.  It really depends on the school.  My son entered kindergarten knowing what some first graders know, but that was because of the program at the daycare.  Is the program at her pre-school structured? Do they have parent teacher conferences?  Provide you with the yearly learning program for the classroom?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)