Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

sport for the toddlers to play

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:45 PM
  • 33 Replies

I really want to put my (almost) 3yr old into some kind of sport I was told soccer lets them play young but I was wondering if anyone else knows of anything? let me know thank you!

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mammabear413
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I just know of soccer we plan on doing it with out son the next session .
OBImomma
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:57 PM
2 moms liked this
My ds started playing soccer at 3yo. Then he started coach pitch baseball at 5yo. Tball starts at 4yo but we thought it would be better to wait until coach pitch
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this
We do gymnastics. It's been awesome for my 2.5 year old. We started about 4 months ago & he can now do somersaults, hang from a bar & get his feet up there too, walk on a balance bean, does a variety of stretches, jumps on a trampoline, is starting to work on handstands, follows directions, etc. It seems to have really built up his core strength. Ours also has an open play time so he can run around & play on the equipment too. It's at a gymnastics place that does classes for all ages, there's even a college class that meets there.

To me soccer at this age is running around & kicking & that's it, gymnastics is more structured & works on a variety of physical skills.

Check out your parks & Rec department too - they usually have a variety of classes and sports for kids. There's also usually swimming lessons available, depending on your area they may be only seasonal.
mem82
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:05 AM
2 moms liked this
Here's a bump! I don't actually agree with young kids being in sports but soccer and tee ball are popular here.
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Here team sports don't start until 4. My daughter just makes the cut off for tee ball this year thanks to them clarifying the rules with the league. At first they said 4 by April 1st but they changed it to May 1st and her birthday is April 19th. I wouldn't put her in but she has to be there anyways since ds plays. They can be on the same team and I've been fighting her off of the field for 2 years.
Should be interesting.
She also does dance. My son did gymnastics at this age.
zombiemama311
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Quoting mem82: Here's a bump! I don't actually agree with young kids being in sports but soccer and tee ball are popular

why do people say heres a bump? lol

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:24 AM
2 moms liked this

at that age we did some sport samplers thru our community center.  the series is like 12 weeks and they do 4 weeks of basketball, 4 weeks of soccer and 4 weeks of t-ball.  my dd also did gymnastics at 3 and my son was ice skating at 3 (hockey learn-to-skate so he was learning to skate in full hockey gear)

mem82
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:55 AM
It's just like a little acknowledgement, sort of like a 'Hi' or just saying that you don't have much to add but want to see what others say. 8)

Quoting zombiemama311:

Quoting mem82: Here's a bump! I don't actually agree with young kids being in sports but soccer and tee ball are popular

pinkiebabii
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:03 AM
A bump moves a post to the top of the groups page so a person will an answer will see it.

Quoting zombiemama311:

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:22 AM

My son was in basketball and soccer last summer and he liked basketball better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)