Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Baby!

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM
  • 24 Replies

Apparently we got the 4 for the price of 3 special at Petsmart! On Saturday we got the kids 3 fish (Mickey Mouse Platy) for their new aquarium (a xmas gift from Grandma).

Yesterday, one of them gave birth! I didn't even realize they were a "live birth" fish (as opposed to egg-laying). The new little guy is so stinkin' cute... so teeny tiny!!

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MagicMonkey
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:39 PM
Aww he's so cute and tiny
RobynS
by Robyn on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I know, right? I hope he survives. But I've been reading about them and it says that platy breed like rabbits. Not sure what we'll do with all those fish if that happens! :O

Quoting MagicMonkey: Aww he's so cute and tiny

.Angelica.
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:25 AM

awe, that's pretty cool. we were thinking of getting some glo fish.

MagicMonkey
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Oh my! Any way you could set up a smaller tank to house the babies to sell them?

Quoting RobynS:

I know, right? I hope he survives. But I've been reading about them and it says that platy breed like rabbits. Not sure what we'll do with all those fish if that happens! :O

RobynS
by Robyn on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:28 AM

we thought about glo fish, but you need a black light to really appreciate them, and we didn't want to invest the extra $$.

Quoting .Angelica.:

awe, that's pretty cool. we were thinking of getting some glo fish.

RobynS
by Robyn on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:29 AM

I thought about that, but we are brand new at this whole aquarium thing... Probably we should wait and see how we do before we try that! Also, we're in a really small town. We could supply the whole town with platy and then what? LOL

Quoting MagicMonkey: Oh my! Any way you could set up a smaller tank to house the babies to sell them?

Quoting RobynS:

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Awesome! We used to have guppies and one of the main reasons we got that type of fish was to see them have babies. It was really fun. I would constantly check on the pregnant fish. It was fun to see them give birth and then watch the babies grow up.

mem82
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Just make sure he doesn't get sucked up into the filter! I like fish tanks!

RobynS
by Robyn on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I had no idea what we were in for... it was such a fun surprise! I've been so worried the adult fish would eat the baby, but so far so good. :)

Quoting C.H.E.L.S.E.A:

Awesome! We used to have guppies and one of the main reasons we got that type of fish was to see them have babies. It was really fun. I would constantly check on the pregnant fish. It was fun to see them give birth and then watch the babies grow up.

RobynS
by Robyn on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I've been worried about that! I saw him swim right past it and I panicked! But mostly he hides at the bottom in the rocks, or tucked inside a plant.

Quoting mem82:

Just make sure he doesn't get sucked up into the filter! I like fish tanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)