Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 1/2 Year Old Son Still Not Fully Potty Trained....Help! PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:38 PM
  • 2 Replies

My son Nathan is having trouble with potty training. He is 4 1/2. He didn't start fully going pee in the potty with no accidents until right at age 4. Now we have been trying to get him to go poo in the potty and it's a battle everyday. He will have some markings in his underwear like he has tried to go or has held it in. When we see this we put him on the potty to try and go and he cries and screams like he's scared. We don't know why or what to do. There are a lot of times he just goes in his underwear. If I smell it, I will ask him if he went poo and he always says "I Don't Know" when he has gone. It's like he doesn't care to go in his underwear at all. We've tried rewardarding him if he went in the potty, but he wasn't interested. My other two boys were potty trained around age 3 so I am at a loss of what to do. DH and I have had some family members comment that he is just being lazy. I hope this makes sense. I have only made a few posts on here. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks ladies!

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:23 PM

is he constipated?  there is a condition called encopresis http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/encopresis/basics/definition/CON-20029758

that is really common in boys.  at 4 1/2 my son went thru a phase similar to what you describe except he had been fully trained prior to the smears and mini accidents.  the pedi said he had encopresis but when i looked it up, it didn't fit our particular situation but may fit yours.  part of the solution to was to make him sit on the potty for 10-15 mins after each meal to try to get him to go.  it was something that had to be done religiously because you would need to retrain the colon to contract normally if it's out of whack from him trying to hold it in for periods of time.

anyway, look it up and see if it fits your situation.  if not (like in my son's case) it may be an attention getter.  we had to finally ignore him and force him to clean his own butt and underwear and that did the trick!  he's 7 now and will have the occasional issue but now it always follows a bout of constipation.  a dose or 2 of Miralax usually solves the problem.

Good luck.  I've been there, I know how frustrating it is :)

.Angelica.
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:49 PM

assuming there are nolearning delays and you think he's just doing it because he doesn't care to be poopy, I would make him clean up his messes himself

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)