Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Young children on a different floor

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:04 PM
  • 21 Replies

A home we are interested in is a tri level and only has one bedroom on each floor. I am concerned about my toddler being on a different level than us, its only 8 steps but still lol. Anyone sleeps on a different level than their young children?

by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Our house has all the bedrooms together.  But most of the newer houses in the area are split floor plans with the master on one side and the kids on the other. I am more comfortable with the kids right near us, but I also wouldn't mind a little more privacy. 

It doesn't seem like 8 steps would be farther than across the house. Lots of people do it.  Plus, you won't have a toddler for long. If you are staying in the house long term you want to be thinking about when he's older too. 

pinkiebabii
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM
No. That is very dangerous. I wouldn't until around 6.
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Nope, I can find better things then our house catching on fire and my children burning up all because we can't get to them. No way would my children sleep on a different level in our house.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:55 PM

We don't.  I wouldn't have a huge problem with the kids being on upper levels with us below but would never want them below us.  Although, the fire aspect would bother me so a split level wouldn't be my first choice...

mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:57 PM
My sister in law.
Their room is on the top, half a level down is their 2 dds room, then another half level to the main floor, and exit

They kept the girls in their room
Till around 18mo then they went to.their own rooms.

They have had no problems

I honestly see it no different then having children's befrooms be across the house, which is how all 5 places we have lived in have been.
othermom
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:03 PM

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it

Sebbiemama
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it helps to name exactly what you are worried about. I wouldn't have a problem with it for my kids. First of all, he won't be 2 forever. Of course we'd need gates on the steps and maybe at their door if they are prone to wandering. And unless I could hear clearly up there, I would use a baby monitor for a while. But what else is there to worry about? I'm fine walking up and down steps at night, so no worries there. Fires? We have smoke alarms and fires are pretty rare to begin with. And to be honest, if I want to imagine a way my babies can die horribly I'm sure I could regardless of whether we're sleeping on the same floor or not. Living is dangerous. I just try to keep things in perspective so I don't go crazy worrying about every possible danger. Personally, if the house is great in other ways and this is the only question, I might go for it. 

jakesmom323
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Bought a new construction with 4 rooms and the top floor. Very friendly family. It helps with resale.
maxswolfsuit
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Quoting mommaFruFru: My sister in law.
Their room is on the top, half a level down is their 2 dds room, then another half level to the main floor, and exit

They kept the girls in their room
Till around 18mo then they went to.their own rooms.

They have had no problems

I honestly see it no different then having children's befrooms be across the house, which is how all 5 places we have lived in have been.

I agree

These replies surprise me. 

Unless your child is in your bed with you there's a chance you could be separated during a fire. I don't know anyone who has had a house fire. I can't even think of local news stories about house fires that resulted in tragedy. It seems paranoid to purchase a house based on that possibility. 

newwifenmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I guess I'm just so used to him being right across the hall, he will be 3 in May. And yes there are alarms and 8 steps is not much and its not down the hall from the steps, its right at the top.

Quoting Sebbiemama:

I think it helps to name exactly what you are worried about. I wouldn't have a problem with it for my kids. First of all, he won't be 2 forever. Of course we'd need gates on the steps and maybe at their door if they are prone to wandering. And unless I could hear clearly up there, I would use a baby monitor for a while. But what else is there to worry about? I'm fine walking up and down steps at night, so no worries there. Fires? We have smoke alarms and fires are pretty rare to begin with. And to be honest, if I want to imagine a way my babies can die horribly I'm sure I could regardless of whether we're sleeping on the same floor or not. Living is dangerous. I just try to keep things in perspective so I don't go crazy worrying about every possible danger. Personally, if the house is great in other ways and this is the only question, I might go for it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN