Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old is your home? OT

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:09 PM
Max
  • 33 Replies

Our house is over 60 years old. We love it's charm and it was built to be very sturdy. 

But it seems like we have a never ending list of repairs and upgrades to make. We bought it 2004. The people we bought it from bought it in 1976 and totally renovated it... then never touched it again. It had shag carpet and lovely red mini blinds in most of the rooms. We've fixed a lot of the cosmetic stuff, but the list seems never ending. 

Do you live in a new home or an older one? What do you prefer?

by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BellaLove27
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:28 PM

I have lived in both really old homes from built in 1919 to one built in 2011 and I must say as much as I love the older homes, I don't like pouring money into, esp if we wont be staying in the home for long. I love our new home that was built in 2011 so I don't have to worry about updating anything in it.

othermom
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

It is around 100 years old

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Quoting BellaLove27:

I have lived in both really old homes from built in 1919 to one built in 2011 and I must say as much as I love the older homes, I don't like pouring money into, esp if we wont be staying in the home for long. I love our new home that was built in 2011 so I don't have to worry about updating anything in it.

The first house I bought was only two years old.  It obviously didn't need updating, but it would built very cheaply. I only kept it for a few years, but I know it probably needed lots of work far before it should have.

Our 60 year old house is very well built. The contractor who did the inspection when we bought it couldn't get over what great shape it was still in. But it feels like we will never get it just how we want it. So sometimes I wish we had a more modern home.

liss05
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:29 PM

'Ours was built in the 70's and we haved lived in it for 14 years we have done a lot to make it ours,redid the kitchen,removed carpets,etc etc. But I agree once you own a home there is a lot you want to do to it to make it yours & keep up on it.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Quoting liss05:

'Ours was built in the 70's and we haved lived in it for 14 years we have done a lot to make it ours,redid the kitchen,removed carpets,etc etc. But I agree once you own a home there is a lot you want to do to it to make it yours & keep up on it.

Had yours been renovated isince the seventies?

The man who sold us our home left us a special rack for the shag carpets. Ugh!

liss05
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Ha-Ha I remember having one of those growing up. Our house is contemperary (catherdral ceillings) in style so it never really looked dated(except horrific kitchen cabinets) but I dealt with those for a few years along with laundry room/furnace being upstairs. just odd placement.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting liss05:

Had yours been renovated isince the seventies?

The man who sold us our home left us a special rack for the shag carpets. Ugh!

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Our house was built in 1935. The roof had to be replaced, we had to put in new windows and doors. It definitely needs  a ton of repairs but it is ours. 

mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:45 PM
We currently.live in a mobile home
Made in 1991, and ugh I hate it!
We will be moving soon to a home built in the late 90s

I have lived in 2 older homes as well, one over 100yrs old the other 50.

Both needed work. I much prefer older well built homes!
theresaphilly
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Around 50, we purchased it for the original builders, seven years ago. I love everything about this house. I love the older homes with charm, character, beautiful hardwood floors, sinks and everything about our house. 

ELKmountain.mom
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Early 90s, we updated everything inside and the only 2 things that we wont bother with but could be done are the windows and garage door opener:)

We will be here another year or two until we build.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)