Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Handling the Hitting

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:04 AM
  • 3 Replies

My son will be two in March.  Recently we have had difficutly with him hitting his older sister (5).  We tell him "No hitting" and give him words to use, i.e. "I don't like that," "Stop," "No," "I'm not done," etc depending on the situation. Are we expecting too much of him?  What else can we do to try to curb the hitting? 

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Mrseoc
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:15 AM

My daughter will also be two in march.  We went throuh a hitting phase that started around 15 months and stopped out of no where around 20 months.

Everytime she would hit me i would say "no, that hurts mommy" then i would make a sad face. Eventually she got the picture. Now when he hurts me i'll tell her and make a sad face.. then she says "i want to hug mommy"... and gives me a hug

He probbaly enjoys getting the reaction from you that he gets. My daughter laughs when i say ouch. He will get tired of doing it though. Just make sure you keep your reaction non exciting (no loud or funny noises)... and make sure you show him your emotions.

Toddlers (at least from my experience) seem to react more to facial expressions than to words.

Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:24 AM
My youngest hits from time to time. He just turned 4. He gets a timeout EVERY time. With two older brothers, (6 &5 yrs), he gets aggressive in attempt to make them listen. Ods is good because he knows not to hit, he generally tattles. Mds's personality is never to be physical.
He is more introverted.

We have begun pointing out when the boys don't want to play with him because he hits. He wants to be a part of what they do, but hasn't figured out that he gets isolated when he resorts to hitting.

We fight this problem daily. A lot of our issues are related to sibling rivalry of being so close in age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:37 AM

My youngest does it too. We've been as consistent as we can with time outs. It seems to curb it, but he still does it sometimes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)