Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training,, poop.....

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:29 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son turns 3 in March. I started training him 2days ago. He does pretty good going pee but will not poop. I can tell he really needs to poop but hasn't. Any ideas on how to help him. I am doing bottomless training. I am really trying hard not to use pull ups or diapers but I don't want to get him to constipated

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:50 PM
I'm no help, my 2.75 year old holds it until nap time (diaper) or night time......we do a pull up at night & he's now started to say 'oh, I have to poop' the. Goes and puts a pull up on himself. Sometimes poops in it, sometimes just wears it for awhile.

I started just letting him do it for now because otherwise he holds it for 6-10 hours
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:19 AM
I gave my daughter a pull-up to poop in when she had to go. This went on for several months and we slowly transitioned to having her do it in the potty. It took lots of time and patience, the trick was to let her take charge of training while I encouraged her along the way. I always gave her the option of using the potty and one day it clicked.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:36 AM

i've dealt with so much constipation with my 2 that i would definitely do anything to avoid that.  if he's holding it in for 2+ days, you might offer the diaper.  my son actually poop trained before he pee trained BUT my dd would hold it until she had her nap or bedtime diaper on.  she did this for about a month and i just ignored it.  i knew it wouldn't last forever.  quite honestly, your son will not be holding his poop at 15 so i would just do what needs to be done to keep him going.  he's just starting and poop can be scary for some kids.  if he gets constipated and it hurts, it'll set you back even farther cuz he'll associate pain with it.

by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Encourage  fluids and give him pears, they have a very gentle laxative effect. 

by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Has he said why he doesn't like going number 2 in the potty? Some kids have a reason and it's as simple as fixing whatever it is. LOL I always ask in hopes that it is something silly like 'I don't like my feet to hang' and I can get them a higher stool.

by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
My son would ask for a pull up when he had to poop. We started making him sit on the toilet while wearing the pull up and he would poop there. Eventually we cut a hole in the bottom of the pull up so when he pooped it would go in the toilet. We just made the hole bigger and bigger until he wasn't scared to go anymore and would go without the pull up. I know it sounds silly but it worked for him.
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:06 AM
I am in the process of training my 2 year old. I noticed that she poops almost immediately after she eats. Sometimes breakfast but mostly in the afternoons right after lunch. She does not talk a hole lot yet so she cannot tell me when she has to go. I let her sit there for a while, and if she goes I cheer her. I found an Elmo's potty song on YouTube, and if she goes, she gets to watch it. She loves it! I also have a potty time Elmo book where Elno is trying to train his teddy bear. It is one of those books that have the sounds and she will sit on the potty and play with it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)