Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So sick of electronic everything...

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM
  • 64 Replies
5 moms liked this
For kids. What happened to natural exploration? Why do so any parents think their 2yo needs ABC Mouse?
Work in the kitchen teaches social, math, and science skills. And it's fun.
Exploring outside creates endless opportunities for learning. You can find letters and numbers on signs, colors and shapes galore, and tons of insects and wildlife.
Visit the library.
Arts and crafts. Be creative and get messy.
Playing tea party or trains.
None of these require electronics and your child will have great memories of time spent together.
AND they learn things ABC mouse teaches and more.
THE END
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LyTe684
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Who says they need it to learn? It may very well be a nice alternative. It's not hurting anyone.

P.S. technology is taking over. If you don't know technology in this day and age, you're screwed.
mom2ljh
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Why do MY child's electronics offend YOU so much?
prettymomma1204
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
My son can navigate any electronic he gets his hands on. We don't avoid the inevitable. I just hear so many parents concerned about pushing kindergarten skills on their toddlers. Bothers me. That's all :)

Quoting LyTe684: Who says they need it to learn? It may very well be a nice alternative. It's not hurting anyone.

P.S. technology is taking over. If you don't know technology in this day and age, you're screwed.
prettymomma1204
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:22 PM
I'm not offended by electronics. I just feel like they are being pushed more and more on younger age groups. It seems like their is an app for anything. We were watching tv and every add (on the hub) had an app for kids. Just seems overwhelming to me.

Quoting mom2ljh: Why do MY child's electronics offend YOU so much?
LyTe684
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Oh so it's not the electronics. It's the parents that feel milestones is a race. That I can agree with. :)

Quoting prettymomma1204: My son can navigate any electronic he gets his hands on. We don't avoid the inevitable. I just hear so many parents concerned about pushing kindergarten skills on their toddlers. Bothers me. That's all :)

Quoting LyTe684: Who says they need it to learn? It may very well be a nice alternative. It's not hurting anyone.

pmsforlife
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:24 PM
I let them explore all electronics, but they have limited time. They have more outside time and we love it!
prettymomma1204
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Basically. Ds is playing Subway Surfers on the Kindle right now. He's 2.5 and keeps the high score in this house LOL
I just feel like these commercials promise parents that if they sit their 18 month old in front of the computer they will be reading and writing in a week.

Quoting LyTe684: Oh so it's not the electronics. It's the parents that feel milestones is a race. That I can agree with. :)

Quoting prettymomma1204: My son can navigate any electronic he gets his hands on. We don't avoid the inevitable. I just hear so many parents concerned about pushing kindergarten skills on their toddlers. Bothers me. That's all :)

LyTe684
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Lol. I hide my Kindle from my DD. She's managed to wipe it clean a few times.

Quoting prettymomma1204: Basically. Ds is playing Subway Surfers on the Kindle right now. He's 2.5 and keeps the high score in this house LOL

I just feel like these commercials promise parents that if they sit their 18 month old in front of the computer they will be reading and writing in a week.

Quoting LyTe684: Oh so it's not the electronics. It's the parents that feel milestones is a race. That I can agree with. :)

prettymomma1204
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Ha! That sucks :/ Ds waits until batteries die and then switches devices. We can never keep them charged if we don't hide them.

Quoting LyTe684: Lol. I hide my Kindle from my DD. She's managed to wipe it clean a few times.

Quoting prettymomma1204: Basically. Ds is playing Subway Surfers on the Kindle right now. He's 2.5 and keeps the high score in this house LOL

RobynS
by Robyn on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I agree, though I think a bit of computer time early on is good, too, b/c in this day and age they are going to need computer skills. But I don't see the need for toddlers to have their own iPads and such.

We love all of those other things you mentioned! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)