Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ideas? advice?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:09 AM
  • 7 Replies
So I have a dd, almost 3, who had developed a habit of picking at her lips. She gets it from me...I know. Bad, but its sort of an unconscious thing for me. Thing is, she picks until her lips are bloody. After I put her into bed tonight, she came into mine. When I found her, her little fingers were all bloody :( idk how to get her to stop. I'm trying to pay attention and not do it myself, but aside from that and telling her no I'm a bit stumped. I don't want her to get in the habit of shredding her face. Those stupid things are such hard habits to break later on.
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
.Angelica.
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:41 AM

i've been trying to get my son out of the habit of picking his nails. it's not going so well.

GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe if you get her chapstick and tell her to put it on every time she wants to pick her lips? My 3 year old adores chapstick so maybe yours might too.

candy558
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:55 AM

I will recommend tape around her hand with rag  just make sure is not to  tight or every time you see it slap her little hand and led her know why you are doing it. is better then bloody lips

shadow_lark
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:49 AM
I'm going to get her some today

Quoting GodsAmiga:

Maybe if you get her chapstick and tell her to put it on every time she wants to pick her lips? My 3 year old adores chapstick so maybe yours might too.

shadow_lark
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM
She kind of needs her hands. She's very active. Maybe if she were still a baby, but now that she's older, taping her hand up will just freak her out

Quoting candy558:

I will recommend tape around her hand with rag  just make sure is not to  tight or every time you see it slap her little hand and led her know why you are doing it. is better then bloody lips

mamatink7
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Quoting GodsAmiga:

great idea!! especially if she carries it around and perhaps get her a favorite character set she can use it to feel like a princess or like hello kitty? i got my niece princess set, she loves it (her mom puts it on right now)

mine bite lips bad too and i just put on carmex for them (my 15 yr olds)

littlepinkrose
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM
My nephew did that. We talked to him and told him it causes owies and that if he does not do it then no owies. And if we caught him doing it we just say stop picking at your lips. At times I do use chapstick on him it helps with the urge because they are not dry. He is 7 now and does it sometimes like when he is nervous but stops when we say something no problems with bleeding like when he was younger.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)